Stock/stroker Cranks

When is some one going to release some REASONABLE PRICED stock and stroker steel crank/rod set up like what was on the market 2years ago?:confused:

maybe we could organize a group buy with CAT in order to get them to make another production run.

I thought I heard CAT was out of business.

If you want a good stroker that won't break the bank, call Dan at DLS, he has 20+ stroker cranks on the shelf I believe.

Don't think so, I email them just last week to ask what the deal was. The response I got back stated that TA Performance is the vendor that sells their cranks. I'm not sure what the deal is with that but below is the email.

To: <getchasumv6@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Buick V6 Crankshafts
Date: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 10:48:27 AM

As of now TA Performance is our dealer with them in stock...
----- Original Message -----

To: donh@catpep.com
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2008 6:39 PM
Subject: Buick V6 Crankshafts

Hello, Could you please tell me if these items are still a stocked item? If not currently in stock are there plans to restock them?
Tks, Scott

Part No. Application Description Price Qty Select Buick

CKS-231 BUICK 231 3.400"Stroke,2.500" main, 2.248" rod, 42#,Internal balanced,5.965" rod,B/W880g, '75-88 375
CKS-231A BUICK 231 3.625"Stroke,2.500" main, 2.248" rod, 42#,Internal balanced,5.965" rod,B/W880g, '75-88 450
CKS-231L BUICK 231 3.400“Stroke,2.500" main, 2.248" rod, 42#,Internal balanced,5.476" rod,B/W880g,3.228" rear seal,N/OIL, '88-02 375

Doubt you will ever see it again. If you find someone that wants to buck up 30-40K up front to a company in finacial trouble and wait months for the cranks you will have them.

As of now TA Performance is our dealer with them in stock...

IT STINKS THE CAT CRANKS WERE $375 AND $450 AND TA SELLS THEM FOR $795.00, IF THAT IS THE CRANKSHAFT ON THEIR SITE.

WHO MAKES THE BILLET CRANKS THAT TA SELLS? DO THEY HAVE THEM MADE, OR ARE THEY FROM EAGLE, MOLDEX, BRYANT, OR ?

I also had talk to cat and they told me the same thing TA bought all their cranks if i wanted 1 to contact them. Cat told me stroker crank and rod set up was 650.00 but they are out of stock due to the pre bought stock.

I also inquired with CAT a few weeks back. First, they asked how many I wanted. I said just 1. They said got to TA.

Perhaps if I said I wanted 25 or 30 units they would be more interested.

Isn't that nice of TA to buy up all the cranks and then double their price. Really helping out the community right there. ;)

Isn't that nice of TA to buy up all the cranks and then double their price. Really helping out the community right there. ;)

Well, why did you not spend $50K to buy up all the cranks and sell them at cost to "help" the community?

So having a forged crank available at a reasonable price is NOT helping the Buick community?

A forged crank at $800 is a very good price - ask a Mopar, Ford or other racer guy. Before the CAT and Eagle cranks were available a good, used BMS crank sold for $1800.

The Eagle cranks list price was $599, the CATS were sold less than that by a few that wanted a quick buck, had no overhead, no customer service for the bad ones they sold. Talked with the owner of Eagle few weeks ago and he said he will never do a forged Buick crank again - it was a money losing item.:frown:

Unfortunately the concept of "making a profit" does not apply here, just "where can can I get the cheapest price" is the motto.

About 10 years ago I was able to but a factory replacement GM cast crank for $600 and was glad to get it, and you guys whine about paying $800 for a forged crank?

I think he still only has the wide journal stroker cranks in stock. I "think" there will be stock stroke cranks after the first of the year.

It's been the TA way for years "we're the only game in town u want one pay our prices no matter how ridiculous they are". I mentioned this on the V8board once and got drilled for it.

I don't know how TA runs their business, but I would be cool paying more for a CAT crank, if they were machining them to spec and making them a drop in piece.

I'm sure Mr. Micale will be chiming back in. :biggrin:

I don't know how TA runs their business, but I would be cool paying more for a CAT crank, if they were machining them to spec and making them a drop in piece.

I'm sure Mr. Micale will be chiming back in. :biggrin:

You are correct on both counts!:smile:

I do not know what TA paid CAT for their cranks, nor do I care.

What I do know is what we paid for Eagle cranks and it was over $600 each with shipping. We sell ours for at least $800. So by the time all are sold, we will have lost $$$ on this purchase as an investment as compared to putting it in a CD or even savings.

Other than a forged crank for high HP engines, the other option is a billet crank at $2700.:eek:

So when you wonder why all the Buick vendors and suppliers are disappearing as the market shrinks, and we are "bashed" as money grabbing thieves that could care less about our customers?:confused:

Nick,

Are you saying that TA is fixing all the machining anomalies on the Cat cranks? That would be great! It cost $300 to straighten out the last one I used.

Brandon