Stock shifter mod that prevents N or R shift ?

TTA

I searched and couldn't find anything... I know I saw it somewhere? For the stock shifter, is there a mod to prevent shifting into N or R? (I have a trans brake).

It involves notching out the detent plate, but I'm not sure how to do it.
If you find someone who sells the part already modified, let me know.

i installed an sclip like the one that is used to hold wires onto an edge (trailer wiring kits have them ) onto the shift gate works fine , cant get to nutral without depressing the button . or just cut the OD/ neutral slot deeper but only halfe way as to cause a step before getting to nuetral

Detent Shift Plate Mod

I just shot this pic of my stock (uncut) detent plate and labeled the shift points. (I think i labeled it correct?) Where do you guys cut the grove?

Attachments

• Dsc03821.jpg
    Dsc03821.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 362
TTA said:
I just shot this pic of my stock (uncut) detent plate and labeled the shift points. (I think i labeled it correct?) Where do you guys cut the grove?

I think you would cut some material out by where you marked "d" .... this would put a detent for drive where you would have to push the thumb button to get it to neutral. The amount you take out should be about the same as the other notches for like park..... maybe 1/4" deep x 1/4" wide or so..... just a guess.....

TTA said:
I searched and couldn't find anything... I know I saw it somewhere? For the stock shifter, is there a mod to prevent shifting into N or R? (I have a trans brake).
What type of trans brake do you have?

ummm, I am not sure. I think it's a stagerite. It was on the car when I bought it.

I think I will cut like this. This will prevent going into OD.

Attachments

• DSC03830.JPG
    DSC03830.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 320
Looks good. Depending on the goal, the mods are slightly different.
Here is a pic of mine. I just wanted to be sure I could not accidently shift into First or OD.

Attachments

• Shiftermod.jpg
    Shiftermod.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 338
if you want to prevent N or R notch where its shaded ,i chose to add height to the N slot rather than cut it .
if you want a stop at third notch the third gear slot slightly and leave a tip at the edge to catch the hook, this could be done to the 2 slot as well for a more positive click but leave the tip shorter and softer (like a bump) so you dont need to depress the button to move it to third

, the plastic rod that runs down the shifter stalk is threaded and spins to adjust depth travel of the pin into the gear selector gate , reinstall the handle and clip and take the time to adjust the jhook while the console is off .
for first gear (tbrake) being the lowest gate slot I just adjusted the hook rod so that i would have to just reach in with my thumb on the shift button to get the rod travel to go into the 1, once its on tbrake you only need to bump shifter forward without having my thumb on the button which if you did use the button and didnt set it tight you could accidently pull it back in to the brake .

I have done this ssame mod years ago to a Mustang two shifter we were having the same problem.

I welded a peice of 1/8 t X 1/8 w x 1/4 h on the end of the drive detent and it worked great, you would have to push the button to get it to go over the tab to shift to N. R or P. HTH

In the ''Stage Right'' trans brake kits, there was a shifter detent plate to replace the stock one that did exactly what you're talking about which is preventing the shifter from accidentally going into ''reverse''.. I still have such a plate on my car although I went to an electric trans brake.

Claude :)

We at DC Tech make these detent brackets. They are made out of 11 ga. T-304 stainless steel. Let us know if we can be of service. Hours are from 7:00 am to 3:30 pm central time. (816 842 9090) Ed

eddc87 said:
We at DC Tech make these detent brackets.

I decided not to mod my stock bracket and get one from DE Tech. Ed was a real easy guy to deal with and I should have my bracket in a few days :cool: