Stock radio illumnination help needed

ok, just went out and confirmed everything you listed. There is ZERO signal at the cars GREY wire. Rheostat turned all the way up, and works with dash lighting. So, clearly there is an issue there. What's my next move ? Should i just put 12+ to the grey of the radio and see what that gets me ?
And if so, which color combination are we going with ? Black to Black ? Green to Brown, or the combo as was recommended before ?

You can put +12 volts to the radio's gray wire as a test. Then find where the gray wire is cut and repair it. That gray wire also goes the the HVAC control head and the ash tray light which is right under the radio.

As for wiring, it is correct in the picture you posted. All colors line up with the exception of the brown to green. Which we know get tied together.

RemoveBeforeFlight

It will get ground thought the antenna when it's plugged in
OK thank you. I was wondering about that.

Now, on to the last mission. Houston, we have ignition. Putting power to the radio grey got me radio lighting !
photo(7).JPG

Making the rest of the connections and we now have functioning "dim on the clock/station display ! Tomorrow, i'll look into the grey dimmer circuit and see whats going on there. The dimmer works the other dash and HVAC/shifter lights, so the grey wire must be it's own circuit.

Thanks for walking me thru this guys, this was "enlightening" ;)

So, the plot thickens..... Started hunting for the offending grey wire at the dimmer. Only it's not to be found. The dimmer has 4 wires. From the bottom of the connector running upwards (it sits vertical in the dash) Brown (12v+ from headlight switch) Black = Ground, White, and Green. Not sure where these go yet, and not sure i care about the grey wire at this point. I think i'm just going to tie the Brown from the car to the Green and Grey of the radio and be done. The only function i'll loose is the dimming of the radio illumination. The display will still dim when the headlights come on.

The green wire (DRK GRN) from the dimmer switch goes to the INST LPS fuse (5 A) in the fuse block. It exits this fuse as a gray wire. This is the one that is used by the dash, HVAC, radio and so on lights.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Again, thank you, thank you, thank you. You have a better understanding of the wiring schematic than i do. :)