stock pilleys

WH1 85

I am the one who posted the ac belt question last week. Well now my alt belt is doing the same thing. It squels sometimes and sometimes it don't. It is driving me crazy. It is usually fine, but if anyone walks up and wants to talk about the car, or if i am at a stoplight boosting for a lauch, belt screams like a banshee. It is really embarissing. I'm starting to think these belts are out to get me. :mad:

So since I have tried everything else, I am resorting to changing out the pulleys. The belts seem like they are sitting a little low in the grooves.

My question is, are the crank and water pump pulleys the same on an n/a 3.8. I have to head to the junk yard today anyway,(firebird parts), put I could pull a set of pulleys while I was there.

I'm leaving in a few hours so any help would be very much appreciated.

Have you tried belt dressing? Its available in spray on and in a crayon like configuration. It allows the belt to stick to the pulley surface.

Also, I'm about to post some parts in the Parts section, and of those will be my pulleys from my '85 that has been converted to '86-'87 intercooled.

I have also tried new belts, tightening, loosening, tightening the pulley bolts and making sure that everything is in alignment.

The only thing left to do is change the pulleys. If you are selling some pulleys cheap, you can count on me buying them.

if the belt is touching the bottom of the v in the pulley then you can step up to a wider belt
or if the pulleys are shinny almost polished then sand them down to roughen up the surface that the belt rides against

best thing i have found f they are real shinney is to sand blast the grooves...if they are real shinny they will squel