stock oil cooler thread size?

87geeinn

Buick and AMG pilot
Soon I'm going to the F-Body radiator but I am going to keep the stock oil cooler assembly and run an external oil cooler. What size are the male threads that screw into the radiator? I want to locate an external cooler that has the correct female thread size to bolt right up to the stock lines.

At the radiator side, It's an "inverted flare" (IF) fitting. IF fittings are specified by the OD size of the tubing, so in this case it's a "1/2-inch Inverted Flare" fitting you need.

The actual thread size of a 1/2 IF, however, is 3/4"-18. But they're always spec'ed by the tube size, not thread size.

I think you will have a hard time finding an aftermarket cooler with IF threads. Most of them are either
(1) NPT female tapered pipe thread or
(2) 37º Flare.

In the 1st case, just use an "NPT to IF" adapter , eg Weatherhead brand.

But I don't see how the OEM oil line will reach to an oil cooler mounted in front of the radiator.

Thanks! Yes, I was also aware of the short length of the stock cooler lines. Everything considered, I'm just going to delete the oil cooler assembly when I swap to the F-body radiator and dual fans.

I kind of adhere to the theory that you shouldn't need an oil cooler if you go to a new efficient radiator + dual fans which in turn keeps everything else cooler. Thus, this should keep the oil within an acceptable range. Plus, being the fanatics that we are about these cars, we all keep an eye on the condition of their oil as well as changing it on a routine basis...right?! :biggrin:

Yes you DO need the oil cooler,I too thought the same and even here in Buffalo it is needed to keep the turbocharger alive alot longer.The adapter that the oil filter goes on is 1/2" NPT after you unscrew the 2 adapters.Go to an aeroquip dealer and set yourself up with -10 AN lines to the cooler,it is not too costly this way at all.I want to stress again that it is very important to have the oil cooler in place to keep the oil temps in check otherwise the extreme heat will break your oil down very quickly.You will average 20 psi or so more oil pressure after a hot run with a decent cooler,Buicks need this because of low idle oil pressure can sometimes be a problem with over heated oil.BTW I have the Fbody radiator and the motor temps are between 160-180 all the time but the oil does not have a chance of being effectively cooled by the radiator because of the amount of heat the turbo puts into the oil is more than the radiator can get rid of.

There are a lot of owners who don't use oil coolers, having replaced their radiators with F-body type , lacking the OEM oil cooler. So while it's certainly desireable to have the oil cooler, it may not be as essential as, say, a good tranny cooler.

Here's are pics of how the oil cooler adapter may be "bypassed" :
http://community.webshots.com/photo/63093078/1066529476036095338BGaTSs
http://community.webshots.com/photo/63093078/1063767917036095338uvXIys

Do Not plug the oil cooler adapter, as that will block all oil flow to the engine!

I think it's desireable to keep the adapter, even if it's "looped around", because then one can use the RJC "Biggie" oil filter adapter. The RJC piece allows huge, high capacity, high quality oil filters to be used, such as the Baldwin B9, instead of the puny stock PF52.

Get the aluminum radiator with the built-in oil cooler/warmer. It's on the drivers side so you will need longer hoses.

tom h said:
There are a lot of owners who don't use oil coolers, having replaced their radiators with F-body type , lacking the OEM oil cooler.

Cost is the main reason.That is why they are using the F-body radiator in the first place.After you add it all up it's close enough that you might as well get a Griffin or Becool with the cooler built in.Most buy the external cooler down the line when the budget permits.
I like the suggestion for the other radiator,I'm guessing that is for a Roadtoad/Caprice?

What part # and where can I find the one with the oil cooler on the driver's side mentioned earlier?

TurboBuickSix,

Did a search for "aeroquip" and found a supplier right down the road. Thanks!

87geeinn said:
After removing the male adapters at the oil cooler, couldn't I just get aeroquip hoses with 1/2 NPT male connectors at both ends?
You will probably want to have the hose with 37º Flare hose ends, and then use adapters (Flare to NPT male pipe thread) at the oil cooler & engine adapter.

Direct male hose ends have several disadvantages:
-- limited selection, usually only straight, no 45º or 90º.
-- usually not rotateable, to turn the NPT male end the entrire hose has to be turned. Those that are rotateable, have an o-ring which is prone to leaks.

The Aeroquip AQP socketless hose & fitting product line is very cost effective, and IMHO is easier to install than the stainless-overbraided hose. Stainless braided hose can look "cool" (but not OEM), but it's exterior is very abrasive and shouldn't be allowed to rub against other surfaces.

Tom H,

Kind of like the one's in the pics on your website from the links you posted earlier in this thread? Thanks again.