Stock oil bypass w/ PTE turbo saver

Morkai

Morkai the Red
Don't want to start another leave it or block it tread. However, I was thinking (ot-oh!) ;) about the differences using the PTE turbo saver pose.

If the stock bypass opens up, say on cold starts, won't that by-pass the turbo saver all together being it's connected to the stock filter adapter. If that happened woudln't it starve the turbo for oil being it feeds directly off the remote filter mount??

I'm thinking for that reason it might be best to block the fatory bypass with the PTE kit. Could always use a filter with built-in bypass, or a good heavy duty filter without to assure no unfiltered oil goes to the turbo.

good question...

that's a good question. I didn't think about that. I'm about to install a PTE turbo saver.

anyone have an answer?

thanks

skip what?

Red, ya lost me. You saying don't use the turbo saver? Or...skip what?? The turbo saver is going on, I want filtered oil to the turbo and a bigger filter for the engine. Not to mention the money I invested in it. LOL

Red, I never noticed you were in Zephyrhills, Florida. I went right though town Tuesday trying to go around the supposed backup from that bad wreck on I-4. I made the Fort Myers run twice this week.

The bypass opening won't completely stop oil from flowing through the oil filter, it'll just slow down the rate. With the bypass closed then 100% of the oil flows through the filter. With it wide open and cold maybe its 50/50, maybe its 25/75, I dunno, but it isn't zero. The turbo will get some oil.

With the Turbosaver whatever oil it gets will be filtered, without the turbosaver some % of it will be filtered and the remainder of it won't be.

John

bypass

Yeah, I was thinking it probably didn't bypass but about half. Still, is that enough oil for the turbo. I guess with a HV cover it would be even more oil to the turbo. I'm thinking about going with one since my engine isn't fresh.

pop off

Think 0f the bypass as a pop off. Lets say it takes 60 psi (I believe the yellow spring is a 60 spring) to push the sleeve off its seat. On cold start and the oil thick it will easily reach 60 psi. The sleeve will be pusher off its seat and oil will bypass. You will still have 60 psi through out the entire system. Including the turbo. The same thing happens when you go to WOT. Oil psi goes past 60. If the bypass can not relieve enough oil the pressure will go past 60. Same principle as a wastegate.

bypass

Yeah, but isn't the stock bypass something like 13psi? I haven't read about anyone successfully upgrading the spring in it yet. Is there some new info?

I am not 100% sure of this so any engine experts feel free to correct me. The oil filter bypass sees pressure on both sides of the valve. If there is a differential in the inlet and outlet pressure of more than 13 psi then the valve will bypass the filter. I would imagine that on a cold start up the bypass would open for a split second until the pressure equalizes trough the filter but I don't think it would hurt much considering the small amount of time its open. The pte and biggie oil adapter from RJC with the larger filter helps this by giving more flow and more resistance to pressure drop thru the filter. Thats one reason I think its a big mistake to use high volume pumps with stock oil filters. I think you take a chance of overpowering the flow potential of the filter and bypassing it.
Sorry I kind of rambled a little there, but it seems to me you can have it one of two ways. Block the bypass and risk starving the turbo for a split second longer,due to the longer amount of time it MAY take the system to build up pressure because of the extra plumbing and larger filter, or leave it alone and risk a potential shot of unfiltered oil. Sorry for the rambling.:rolleyes:

Morkai, you can rest your mind about the amount of oil the turbo needs. If you believe Corky Bell, his book gives some generic pressure/flow requirements, and they are really small: 5 psi/0.1 gpm at hot idle and 25 psi/0.5 gpm at WOT.

As for the bypass and how long its open, I think that the experiences people have written about here show that the bypass can be open a lot, esp when running the stock filter. Guys have had filters blow off, or seen the insides crushed, when:
1. running bigger gears (ie high vol pumps)
2. running thicker oils
3. running smaller oil filters

I've got my bypass blocked, and have no issues with it, but then I run a big filter (turbosaver) with stock gears, a higher flow oil cooler, and 10W-30.

If it was just a matter of the bypass poping open then poping back shut, you wouldn't see the filter issues other guys have seen. I think with some combinations of oil, filter, and gears that the bypass could be open for most if not all of the time.

John