stock long block ta49 first time at the track

turb0buick57

Me and some of my buddies went to the local track for the first time last night. Drove the car 115mile round trip.

My car is stock longblock with 60k miles, ta49, 009s,v4 intercooler thdp, 2.5in exhaust, hotwired xp pump, vigilante 10in 3000stall l/u converter, s10 wheel cylinders, line lock, alkycontrol and 275/60 Nittos set at 20.5psi.
All my runs were made through the full exhaust and cat converter. I had a bag of tools and chair in the trunk that I ended up leaving in the whole time and did not lock the converter.

Wasted first 2 runs just getting comfortable and adjusting the timing and boost. Ran 14.9 off idle with around 17degrees timing in all gears- 17psi and 13.7 off idle with 20/19 degrees timing and 18-19psi.

The 3rd run was the first I tried to leave under boost, after 3lbs of boost it started pushing through the brakes and moving forward so I got out of it and ended up leaving at 0 to half a pound of boost.
With tt chip set at 23/21 degrees and 22-23lbs of boost. gain set on 6, no knock and 789 was the lowest o2s
My slip was

60ft 2.03
330ft 5.41
1/8th 8.27 at 86.19mph
1000ft 10.75 at 98.06mph
1/4th 12.86 at 106.86

My last run it had got pretty cool, high 60degrees, I tried to leave harder, did a larger burnout and this time it let me hold 3lbs of boost...well I tried to time it to brake torque it as the tree was falling and right before it pushed through the brakes to leave.
60ft 1.88
330ft 5.19

then I got out of it because it started showing knock and coasted through the rest. My 1/8th was actually 8.38 at 75mph to show how early I got out of it. Would have been my best by far but I would rather the car live for another day than to have had to call the tow truck home.

I'm going to work on the brakes to be able to leave harder off the line. I still think I can do better than the 1.88 on Nittos. All in all had a good time and my goal was just to run 12.xx with it my first time out. One of my buddies had an 04 cobra there that dynoed at 496hp and 470tq it ran 12.2-12.3 all night...Stock irs suspension wheel hopped bad when he tried to leave any harder... I wanted to get down there with him. Next time maybe!

Me and some of my buddies went to the local track for the first time last night. Drove the car 115mile round trip.

My car is stock longblock with 60k miles, ta49, 009s,v4 intercooler thdp, 2.5in exhaust, hotwired xp pump, vigilante 10in 3000stall l/u converter, s10 wheel cylinders, line lock, alkycontrol and 275/60 Nittos set at 20.5psi.
All my runs were made through the full exhaust and cat converter. I had a bag of tools and chair in the trunk that I ended up leaving in the whole time and did not lock the converter.

Wasted first 2 runs just getting comfortable and adjusting the timing and boost. Ran 14.9 off idle with around 17degrees timing in all gears- 17psi and 13.7 off idle with 20/19 degrees timing and 18-19psi.

The 3rd run was the first I tried to leave under boost, after 3lbs of boost it started pushing through the brakes and moving forward so I got out of it and ended up leaving at 0 to half a pound of boost.
With tt chip set at 23/21 degrees and 22-23lbs of boost. gain set on 6, no knock and 789 was the lowest o2s
My slip was

60ft 2.03
330ft 5.41
1/8th 8.27 at 86.19mph
1000ft 10.75 at 98.06mph
1/4th 12.86 at 106.86

My last run it had got pretty cool, high 60degrees, I tried to leave harder, did a larger burnout and this time it let me hold 3lbs of boost...well I tried to time it to brake torque it as the tree was falling and right before it pushed through the brakes to leave.
60ft 1.88
330ft 5.19

then I got out of it because it started showing knock and coasted through the rest. My 1/8th was actually 8.38 at 75mph to show how early I got out of it. Would have been my best by far but I would rather the car live for another day than to have had to call the tow truck home.

I'm going to work on the brakes to be able to leave harder off the line. I still think I can do better than the 1.88 on Nittos. All in all had a good time and my goal was just to run 12.xx with it my first time out. One of my buddies had an 04 cobra there that dynoed at 496hp and 470tq it ran 12.2-12.3 all night...Stock irs suspension wheel hopped bad when he tried to leave any harder... I wanted to get down there with him. Next time maybe!

That combo should be good for much lower slips. There folks on here that re running consistent 11s with similar combos.

Those are some really good times for first time out. If you can get it to hold more boost at the line, knock down the 60ft, you will be down there with the Cobra, if not passing him up very soon!

Cars been consistent mid/high 11s before I bought it. Although at 27psi, race gas and slicks.
Going back to the track tonight, hopefully I can launch better and I feel a lot less overwhelmed now. I did get turbolink hooked up and working, not as good as DS or powerlogger but better than just the scanmaster.

new times

I looked back at my comment and realized it may sound discouraging and that is not the way i meant it. I guess it would have been better to tell you to keep at it, as there at those on here with similar combos that are running much lower numbers. With more practice i am sure you will get into the 11s :biggrin:

I looked back at my comment and realized it may sound discouraging and that is not the way i meant it. I guess it would have been better to tell you to keep at it, as there at those on here with similar combos that are running much lower numbers. With more practice i am sure you will get into the 11s :biggrin:

I appreciate the comment/encouragement.:D

Made a few runs tonight, was pretty warm out and not a lot of cars showed up. So I practiced launching on the 555r's...

best 60ft was 1.74...it knocked the scanmaster off the dash and I aborted since I dont have a knock gauge or audible sensor.

best complete run was .... 22# of boost, car feels like it spools lazy when the alky kicks in. 1st and 2nd gear 02s were 810s-820s throughout the night. 3rd gear was 795 last few runs.

1.84 60ft -- spun
5.16 330ft
8.00 1/8th at 86mph
10.46 1000th
12.50 1/4th at 105mph

Will probably go at it again in a few weeks

Yes I have a line lock.
We made another trip to the track where I've had my best run so far. No changes to my previous best run. Air was a little cooler, still mid 70s.. DA was not much better but somewhat. Left about 4lbs of boost.
Was about 22-23lbs of boost, 23/21 timing.

1.74 60ft
7.81 1/8th 87.xx mph
12.34 1/4th 107.xx mph

I tried to take some fuel out of first gear on the next 3 runs but my 60ft only got worse. their were a ton of street cars their and I think the track prep went down. Also tried leaving around 6-7lbs and just spun to 1.9x. So i think i'm stuck their on the Nittos.

I'm wondering if ditching the cat converter will pick up my mph at all?

When we have our track rental in a few weeks I'm going to try locking the converter. Keep reading its good for a few mph. Hopefully I can throw a test pipe on before then, but I was curious how much having a functioning cat was holding me back.
Buying MT's is on my list but will have to wait until next year.

You should be making more MPH regardless of the launch.
Maybe you should look into making a pass with race gas and the alky off.

I had a car with a stock intercooler and turbo that ran almost identical times.
That motor had over 130k miles and factory valve springs.
My passes where with 24* and 22psi.

Don't be discouraged, just take things slow and figure them out.
Just driving your car back from the track is a good first step.

Thanks for the comments John. Yea im kind of thinking my tune is just way off, being I gained 2mph with out making any changes just a little better air, and the mph still isnt where I thought it would be. I ran 107mph all 4 runs that night, I probably should have tried adding timing or subtracting wot fuel slowly instead of just 1st gear fuel. A wideband would probably be the best thing for me to get it straightened out.

Eddie,

Do you have an air bag in the rear passenger side coil spring? If not, for about $50 this will improve your 60 ft times by a couple tenths. I would also install the longer brake shoes on the rear so you can hold more boost on the launch. MTs will definately help, but you should start with tuning the suspension for a better 60 ft. With my setup below I can leave at 8-10 psi on drag radials, and 12-13 psi on slicks with good track prep.

RJ

RJ I have the air bags. I did 20lbs passenger, 10-11lbs driver side. Reading the boards i couldnt find a set pressure to work with. But 20lbs did elimate the wheel hop I experienced with 12lbs in passenger bag.
I was able to hold 6-7lbs on a run but once side stepping the brake on launch it just spun on the nittos to a 1.9x 60ft. My buddy did do a nice all season tire, tire fire at the start line, while I was in the burn out box for that run. so in hindsite I could have been slipping on his excess rubber on that launch. I just assumed the nittos couldnt handle leaving on that much boost and left off less the following runs. Only time Ive ever been able to get 1.7s is off about 4lbs.
I really wont know unless I get a set of MT or slicks. Anyone else been able to pull 1.6 or better on 555r's?

i agree with john. when i had a stockl motor and just a duttneck and ta49 i ran a 11.62 at 115mph with 23psi and timing at 27/25 with 5 percent taken out of first got a 1.60 60ft. this took me a while to get. you need to start slow and work your way up. you maybe spraying to much alky which will slow your car down. your best bet would be to get a wideband. take your time and enjoy. ps. those little turbos love high timing