Stock GN with F.A.S.T 2.0

I know of a couple customers with 100% stock TR's that decided to put XFI's on in anticipation of future modifications. I will try and get them to post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got mine from Cal a couple weeks ago and should be ready to fire it up with some other small modifications to a basically stock 48K Grand National in 2 weeks.

XFI 2.0 is on my daily driver

Mine is stock except for the injectors. I changed them a long time ago hoping to fix a multitude of little problems with the way the car ran and of course it just made things worse at the time. I'm not a part of the race crowd I just love driving a Grand National. All I wanted was the car to run correctly.

The XFI with Cal's basic tune has resolved everything. Now with the 2.01 self learn I don't even mess with the VE tables anymore, they are always about +/- 3 % so my laptop stays at home now. The car runs better than it did when it was new (I know because I bought it off the showroom floor in 1987).

I've already put about 8,000 miles on it since buying it from Cal sometime around August of last year. I could not be happier with it.:D

Rick

XFI 2.01 Stock GN boost control

I know some of you will cringe when you read this but considering the economy and the price of fuel today I'm going to post it anyway.

Here in Orlando Fl the price of 93 fuel was $4.09 per gallon last week. My GN is my daily driver so thats significant.

I setup a calibration using the XFI 2.01 boost control feature that has an across the board maximum boost of 8 psi. :eek: With no other changes to the calibration I now happily run 87 fuel and don't worry about blowing a head gasket just jumping into traffic. Performance and driveability is still good (and safe).

An adjustable wastegate isn't needed. If you have one I imagine you can just tighten it up and forget about it now with the XFI. The stock waste gate solenoid works fine and is already plumbed for the XFI default config.

If you want to really tune for mileage you can bump the AFR values at light cruise with no affect on power enrichment or Wot. If you ask him Cal will help you with this without laughing. At least I could not hear him laughing over the phone.:wink:

Rick

I know some of you will cringe when you read this but considering the economy and the price of fuel today I'm going to post it anyway.

Here in Orlando Fl the price of 93 fuel was $4.09 per gallon last week. My GN is my daily driver so thats significant.

I setup a calibration using the XFI 2.01 boost control feature that has an across the board maximum boost of 8 psi. :eek: With no other changes to the calibration I now happily run 87 fuel and don't worry about blowing a head gasket just jumping into traffic. Performance and driveability is still good (and safe).

An adjustable wastegate isn't needed. If you have one I imagine you can just tighten it up and forget about it now with the XFI. The stock waste gate solenoid works fine and is already plumbed for the XFI default config.

If you want to really tune for mileage you can bump the AFR values at light cruise with no affect on power enrichment or Wot. If you ask him Cal will help you with this without laughing. At least I could not hear him laughing over the phone.:wink:

Rick

That is good info, and it makes perfect sense. What kind of mileage increase do you think you got from before and after XFI? Well, if you had chip/injector mismatch or issues prior I guess it wouldn't be a fair question. I am just curious if you took a bone stock GN, then put XFI in it, and tuned for economy what you could get... I think that is one f the many things I like about an aftermarket system like this is adaptability. a setting for driving daily, and another for kill on the track.

Good stuff. Always learning. ;)

EDIT: Oh, and no cringe here. I would love to be able to get better MPG plus run 87 for the cross country trips I have done, and will more than likely do again.

Thats great info:) I ordered my XFI from Cal and Holly this past Friday but I cannot get installed yet. The car is currently getting painted, so hopefully soon I can get it installed. On a side note I have to install my Razors Alky kit and Dual Spal fans. Maybe with this I can hopeully run a 8.0 1/8 mile pass.:)

Are there any parts that I need to get modified so this can be a seamless transition?