Stock front neopreme seal install

Fastair6

Have a question on the install of the neopreme front seal on a stock cover.

I set this up last night to let the RTV dry, but this morning the when i tried to install the balancer it was very tight and actually rolled the seal lip over. I lubricated the seal lip and the hub of the balancer to make sure it wouldn't catch. I not sure if i put to much RTV.

Has anyone had to resurface the balancer hub? Does the seal just RTV in place so it won't spin? Are there any modifications that need to be done to the front cover?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Where did you put the RTV? Did you slide the seal over the balancer prior to install for test fit?

DavidF thanks for responding.

I test fit the seal and then put the RTV on the back of the seal between the rubber and its metal frame to hold it in place. It seems like it is the wrong seal. This is the seal from Kirban part# 6548. It seams to not have a very good surface area to hold itself in place.

Just so I have the right seal. This seal installs from the inside the front cover and goes over the flange that protrudes torward the back of the motor. Or is this seal supposed to insert inside the rope seal area.

I hope i'm on the right track.

Thanks.

It installs to inside of front cover. You may have the casing from old rope seal that is pulled out. Then centre the seal Dry in the cover & use a punch, socket or whatever tool that fits to set it in & then stake it in a few spots so it stays put. No RTV or anything else needed. Its a nice tight fit. I have done 3 of them without issue. Make sure the old rope seal housing is Out!

I have heard some use a small dab of RTV on the shell before install but I dont think I ever did? If so just a very light smear is all.