Stock Boost - Max Boost

19GN85

Could someone tell me the stock boost amount for a 1985 Buick Grand National?

And also, whats the safest max amount of boost for a stock motor?

Thank you for your info.

Stock was 10-12 psi and it would spike to 14-15 when you first hit the gas and back off to 10-12.

Max safe boost for the motor is determined by octane. If you had an efficient turbo and race gas and all the supporting things plus tuning you could run 29psi.

On a stock hotair the car will stop getting faster around 19psi. The boost will go higher but you won't see any gains. This is mostly due to the stock turbo limitations. Put a bigger turbo and you can run more boost efficiently.

Edit: I forgot your question, for a bone stock motor meaning stock fuel pump and everything else I would keep boost levels near stock. You could probably get away with a couple extra psi but the only safe way would be with a scanner. The bottom end of the motor will take a lot of power.

Interesting....was looking for a little bit more performance then stock when I get my chip burned....everything being stock except the fuel pump, and injectors (42lb) and was wondering where to put the max boost setting for the setup. Also running 91 octane

IMO- No way to measure knock- 10lbs on 91 octane. Remember the idiot lights in the dash are just that-idiot lights. Take care- Brad

Interesting....was looking for a little bit more performance then stock when I get my chip burned....everything being stock except the fuel pump, and injectors (42lb) and was wondering where to put the max boost setting for the setup. Also running 91 octane

Depending on the timing in the chip and the fact that you do have a fuel pump, you're probably safe with 15psi but it would be a good idea to have a way to monitor knock first.

Wow its been awhile since ive been here.... Im running @ 20# in mine and thewre is no way I could do it on 91 octane. ok pump gas in general. I think91 octane 15 is the higest id go and thats while monitoriing KR:)

wow 83 posts!!!! thats some funny crap there