Stock Block With Girtle ?

aligator

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF A MAIN GIRTLE IS GOOD ENOUGH ON A STOCK BLOCK OR SHOULD PUT CAPS TOO IAL LOOKING TO GO HIGH 9S

From what I hear, most people seem to use the center billet caps with the girdle almost always and some use all billet. Dont risk building a 9 sec. car that has a weak gut!! BE SAFE and use at least the centers. Youll have much more peice of mind while racing!!
Derek:cool:

I know serveral guys running into the 9's with just a girdle and stock caps, but if you want extra insurance then get the caps also.

Good Luck.

NOPE! With the girdle you run the stock caps............Right from RJC himself! You can run the billet stuff but it isn't needed with the girdle.

Im quick today!!!!!

Hey Russ,
Would you cryo a hydralic flat tappet cam? Im thinking about it if I don't go roller.

Thanks bro!!!

Can you just put a girdle on what you already have?? What other kinds of work do you do when installing one? Line bore or hone?
Obviously I don't know a lot about the girdle thingy.:D

you need a professional machine to install the girdle. Requires a line bore/hone typically and you need to preload the caps with spacers that are included but need to be TIG'd in place.

This is not something you do in your garage in order to do it properly.

Stock rods with polished beams and ARP rod bolts are good to well over 700hp. Make sure you do that and a quality forged piston with good rings. Get it balanced.

-GNX7

IMO caps do nothing for a 109 block

girdle with stock caps for 10's or faster

I dont typically recomend girdles to any of my customers unless they are looking to go 10's as I dont think the 109 block needs anything done to the bottom end when going slower

I think Bamford or Laz was running all 4 billets w/ NO girdle.It was one of em and thats the 2 fastest TSM 109's.Choice is yours,girdle is cheaper than all 4 mains.

Originally posted by broke1
I think Bamford or Laz was running all 4 billets w/ NO girdle.It was one of em and thats the 2 fastest TSM 109's.Choice is yours,girdle is cheaper than all 4 mains.

That was actually Dave. Roy runs a girdle on the motor Laz had his hand in.
Dave's motor made allot of power but the billet caps moved around allot and therefore they had to look at other alternatives. They will be running a girdle this year.

Although it certainly does not hurt to have billet caps on a girdled motor they are not necessary as stated earlier. A stock cap will never be the first thing to fail in a girdled motor. Once the girdle is installed the caps main purpose is bearing retention. It no longer has to carry the entire load of the motor.

These girdles are relatively easy to install. You could install one "out of your garage" if you have a manual mill in your garage. If not, any competent machine shop can do them.

I like to see a light hone on the main bores to make sure everything is still round after the install. most of the time everything is good but once in a while it needs the hone and you really cant tell until you do it.

Usually with a thou and a half clearance on the mains if the plastigage is good and the crank can be turned by grabbing the snout of the crank and turning it by hand. then you are fine.

there were allot of good replies on this thread and all i am doing really is elaborating on what has already been said. thanks guys, hope this helps.