Stock/aftermarket sway bar mounting hole spacing?

If anybody has one of these on the bench, would you measure the distance center-to-center of the mounting holes, and post here. Additionally, what size are the holes? Thanks.

FBSideoiler427 said:
If anybody has one of these on the bench, would you measure the distance center-to-center of the mounting holes, and post here. Additionally, what size are the holes? Thanks.
----------------------------------------
7/16 dia. X (7/16 high X 1/2 long slot) 5.55" center to center, slotted at the radius end. Actual measurements were: .430 or so dia. X .437 or so high X .50 or so long slot, & 5.08 inside to inside. center of 7/16 dia hole is located about .58 to EOP (end of part). HTH

Thats all the info I was looking for. Thanks!!!!

I'm planning a separate mounting scheme for the sway bar so that it is mounted separately from the lower control arm. I'm trying to minimize any bind present with the two (sway bar/LCA) attached. Stay tuned.

FBSideoiler427 said:
Thats all the info I was looking for. Thanks!!!!

I'm planning a separate mounting scheme for the sway bar so that it is mounted separately from the lower control arm. I'm trying to minimize any bind present with the two (sway bar/LCA) attached. Stay tuned.
-------------------------------
I just went BMR adjustable upper control arms with spherical bearings frame side and factory bushings at the suspension side (rear), (18K mile car), and Global West lower control arms with the spherical bearings frame side and Del-A-lum bushings at the suspension (pumpkin side) side, & Global West 1" rear sway bar. No bind, no clunk, no noise, flawless operational characteristics. Improved the cars handling attitude 100 %. Unfortunately, wasn't cheap, but well worth it IMHO if you like a responsive handling turbo Buick.
HTH

Just curious. Why do you think there is any "bind" when the bar is bolted directly to the LCA? It's a simple, cheap attachment. Works well, and will last a long time.

Ormand said:
Just curious. Why do you think there is any "bind" when the bar is bolted directly to the LCA? It's a simple, cheap attachment. Works well, and will last a long time.
----------------------------------
According to virtually all, or most of the aftermarket upper & lower control manufacturers that I talked to when doing my suspension, and actual go-around racers such as "Racer-X" in San Diego, there is bind. I believe that bind actually occurs, or can occur because none of the factory, and some aftermarket systems, too, allow for any articulation, or all-around movement, without some type of spherical bearing, or something performing the same function of a spherical bearing. All suggested going to spherical bearings at the frame side of the upper and lower rear control arms, Del-A-Lum bushings at the lower control arm suspension side, and using the factory or 1LE rubber factory rubber bushings on the suspension side (rear end side) of the rear upper control arm. Drag racers can get by with spherical bearings on all 4 corners of the rear suspension, but not street users. I love mine and swear by the set-up. I have had 5 turbo Buicks, various mileage and various suspension set-ups and this 1 is the best for all around suspension handling characteristics of the 5. HTH

Wells said:
..................because none of the factory, and some aftermarket systems, too, allow for any articulation, or all-around movement, without some type of spherical bearing, or something performing the same function of a spherical bearing. ....................

Technically, a sway bar is supposed to only turn axially around a fixed point on the rear housing. Our bars see bending and turning. The attachemnt points of our bars are the LCA at opposing ends only. The moment created around the opposite-end-LCA-mounting-point introduces bending into our bars. I'm experimenting with removing the bending element.

I'm not a mechanical engineer nor do I play one on TV :) , BUT, with all of this graduate level electrical engineering knowledge amassed, I'm sure I'll be able to cobble up the suspension and render it useless. :D Stay tuned.