Stock '86 GN Front Sway Bar Diameter

whiplash306

Hey guys.....just got under the car, and to the best of my ability with my pathetically limited amount of tools, found the front end sway bar on my otherwise stock '86 GN to be approx 1.25" in dimeter. Can anybody confirm this? I'm ordering a Performance Suspension Technology super polygraphite front end kit and wanna be exact with my measurements. Sure could use a confirmation. Thanks!

take a large crescent wrnch (surely you have one of those :tongue: ) and "measure" the bar. (kind of like mic'ing it) then put a tape measure on the tips of the wrench, get it as close as possible. I can't seem to find the receipt from mine telling the bar diam, but there were also a few different ones. That, and mine is an 85. :D

Sounds right. Just use a tape ruler (or string and measure that w/ruler or tape measure). I put the same kit on my 87 GN but I think my bar was 1.75". Can't cleary remember. An alternate (and cheaper) decision would be to go w/Energy Suspension bushing kit. They make a complete front end bushing kit for the car. Just more pressing of bushings. But just as nice if not better than PST's. I have both kits (installed on diff. autos of course)and like Energy's quality/ride better.

Squid4life said:
take a large crescent wrnch (surely you have one of those :tongue: ) and "measure" the bar. (kind of like mic'ing it) then put a tape measure on the tips of the wrench, get it as close as possible. I can't seem to find the receipt from mine telling the bar diam, but there were also a few different ones. That, and mine is an 85. :D
I'm embarrased to say that I "no longer" have a large crescent wrench to do the measuring after I loaned it out to a "friend", who never returned it...lesson learned!!!

whiplash306 said:
I'm embarrased to say that I "no longer" have a large crescent wrench to do the measuring after I loaned it out to a "friend", who never returned it...lesson learned!!!

Diameter is circumference divided by 3.14

Run a tape around the bar and divide that number by Pi.

salvageV6 said:
1.25" is correct or 32mm and 32.5 mm will do in a pinch.
Terry_H said:
Diameter is circumference divided by 3.14

Run a tape around the bar and divide that number by Pi.

Ormand said:
The Buick parts catalog calls it 32mm.
Thanks guys...tons of help! I appreciate it. All that fricken' math stuff flew outa my mind after high school about 11 years ago..ha.