stock 86 GN E.T.?

gflo383

What would an 86 GN with an adjustable wastegate, hot wire kit, ColdAir, Adj FPR, bluetop injectors 34#, Hooker complete exhaust, and some MT slicks? how much potential does this setup have, and what are some really beneficial upgrades at this point? new here, thats why i ask....

Scantool and chip, in that order. After that, safe 13.5-13.9's or so I'd guess. With the slicks and a chip, who knows maybe a low 13. Gotta run it to find out otherwise it's all bench racing :p

Why, are you going to race one? ;)

IF he has the boost up on race gas
and
IF he can hook

low 12's are possible

blackbuick, you're saying that a gn with the following has deep 12 second potential with race gas at 22 psi or so:

an adjustable wastegate,
hot wire kit
ColdAir
Adj FPR
bluetop injectors
Hooker complete exhaust
some MT slicks
and a chip

i'm by no means doubting you, i just had no clue that a combo like that had such potential.

you have to be one hell of a tuner/driver to get low 12's out of a stock combo! (unless it weighs 3,000 lbs....)

being realistic, high 12's are doable if everything is up to snuff

(low 12 stuff is usually upgraded turbo, injectors, and various other improvements)

Test pipe will help also, but a lot of ET is the launch. If it is running well and with 20 to 22 psi boost on race fuel, it could run 105 mph, which could be anywhere from 12.5 to high 13s, depending on traction (1.7s to 2.1s 60' times). Needs a good fuel pump also to be safe at the race boost. Airbags in the rear springs can help too. You can get good 60' times on drag radials like BFGs, but I think slicks are more consistent.

Woody, azgn, told me once in a post to get track results to see what my stock combo would run, so I did :) . If you can test the car at the track with another TR owner who is running in the 12s and has a good short time, that could yield some good advice and times.

Someone who knows what they are doing could squeeze a high 11 @ 112 out of those parts in a 3600lb car.

It's all about tuning, track prep and weather conditions.

I wasn't much of a tuner when I ran 12.20's@110 in my car (1.8 60ft :rolleyes: ) and I didn't have larger injectors.

A lot of little things add up like porting the elbow, bellmouthing the intercooler necks and locking the TC.

A hot wire kit may not be enough, though. I ran low twelves without a hotwire, but I used a new pump. Add a new pump to the list and you are golden.

don3d ran 12.2 on that same combo with slicks.

TTA's run high 11's.

Woody I admit it is a couple big IF's, the car would have to be tuned real well and get a good launch.

I have a similar combo, cant launch, and run high 12's, without slicks

scott smith ran 11.95 @ 111 on stock stuff. he did this 3 times in a row one night. stock being heads/inj/ic/turbo. my car has mph'd 108 and that was on a 93 chip. it will be get there next year

I strongly agree with Woody - not many cars would run low 12's under such circumstances. High 12's or even low 13's would be more representative. Now I'm not talking the Vetters and Gallinas of the world here, who could probably run 11 flat under NHRA Stock Eliminator rules, if they chose to do so...

That's the beauty of this board, everybody thinks they are or should be a full second faster than they really are. And since it's January, who's to argue???

:D

Originally posted by strikeeagle
I strongly agree with Woody - not many cars would run low 12's under such circumstances. High 12's or even low 13's would be more representative. Now I'm not talking the Vetters and Gallinas of the world here, who could probably run 11 flat under NHRA Stock Eliminator rules, if they chose to do so...

That's the beauty of this board, everybody thinks they are or should be a full second faster than they really are. And since it's January, who's to argue???

:D

I have gone low 12s with a stock Buick an high 11s with a stockTTA...the average Joe is NOT goin to do this like Woody an Strikeeagle have said...its just like the "butt dyno"....doesnt mean crap..
oy helll this can run 11s easy on the street:p ...then they go to the track an run 13s @ 99 mph:cool:

adjustable wastegate - $80 (if you are handy...you could make your own for like 5 bucks)
160 thermostat - $3
slicks - $250
hooker exhaust - $200
RJC powerplate - $60
RA108 race chip - $50
turbolink scan tool - $250
boost gauge - $40
hood mount fuel pressure gauge - $150
3" downpipe - $100
gutted cat - free
air bags - $25
walbro 307 fuel pump and hotwire kit - $150
adj. fuel pressure regulator - $100

= $1,458

oh and my car is a fully loaded hardtop GN that weighs around 3600 lbs...all other components STOCK...75k miles when i raced it

i had the boost cranked to 23 lbs exactly...ran 110 leaded fuel, maxed out the stock fuel injectors, launched with 10 lbs with no tire spin, all in route to a 12.2 @ 112 mph...i am only 20 years old and i am by no means an EXPERT with turbo buicks...but i have learned everything by asking questions and watching others...it is surely not THAT hard if you just know what you are doing...plus this is my first fast car i have ever owned so all this tuning stuff comes easy to me since i like computers and tinkering :)

hmmmm...100% duty cycle on a 3600 lb car running 112 mph needs 33 # hour (per Lubrant's chart)

you were way out of injector...you needed 118% duty cycle assuming your stockers were 28's

don't think you want to try that very often........

7.98 1/8th in 1992

The only mods were:
Adjustable actuator
K&N open element filter
160 stat
crushed stock regulator (cheap method to raise fuel pressure)
Hooker 2 1/2" exhaust
Hypertech stage 2 chip
General 245/60/15's

Back then that was fast as heck on the street!

12.10 @111:
Stock Turbo, Stock IC, Stock TC, race chip, home made 3" DP and other small mods, 22-23psi.... I hope to run in the 11's with some fine tuning and locking the converter..

No flames but I feel that 12.3's to 12.5's @ 107+ with 1.75 60's should be perfectly normal for any TR. If you can't do this on the stock Turbo, IC, Tranny then you better learn how to tune and drive it NOT buy "bigger" parts;)

ks:cool:

Originally posted by KEVINS
12.10 @111:
No flames but I feel that 12.3's to 12.5's @ 107+ with 1.75 60's should be perfectly normal for any TR. If you can't do this on the stock Turbo, IC, Tranny then you better learn how to tune and drive it NOT buy "bigger" parts;)

I already admitted I cant drive:D
I havent gotten to the point yet, though, where I have to take Steve Yaklin's advice and fill the trunk with crap so I can get a 1.7 60' :D

Originally posted by blackbuick87
I already admitted I cant drive:D
I havent gotten to the point yet, though, where I have to take Steve Yaklin's advice and fill the trunk with crap so I can get a 1.7 60' :D
ROLMAO!!!:D :D

Originally posted by KEVINS
12.10 @111:
Stock Turbo, Stock IC, Stock TC, race chip, home made 3" DP and other small mods, 22-23psi.... I hope to run in the 11's with some fine tuning and locking the converter..

Hey Kevins that is a good time with stock components. When you say fine tuning, im just curious you can only tune with what the ranges are supposed to be right? example 02s,maf reading within range,tps set correctly,iac set correctly. With all the little tuning specs as mentioned above within there ranges, and the boost set accordingly to fuel, and the fuel pressure set correctly, the only other thing would be in the chip burning right? if all the above are within there ranges and the scan tool is showing correct numbers and no knock or little knock within its ranges, what else would be said to say your car is running correctly? is it safe to assume that the car is tuned correctly? granted it feels right also when you stomp on it.

thanks

jojo

That's the way I look at it. If the chip is burned properly with the proper fuel curve, timing and I monitor the KR - then as long as I force air into the motor, the damn thing better run, and it has:) I do think there is still some tuning that I haven't done to it to make it run those numbers "easier" but I only race once a year so it's not high on my priority list to fine tune it..

One thing that I think helps is that my combo is "simple" or stock. I feel this is a no-brainer for the GOOD chip gurus (Red Armstrong) to burn a chip for so all I should have to do is monitor KR and the chip programming does the rest. After all these years Red BETTER have a "perfected" chip program to "start with" for my combo.
I have 2 other friends (they are brothers) that are running as fast or faster than me with the same basic mods and they share the same RA108 chip between both cars. The difference in ETs come from the difference in weight of the cars (87GN vs 86T).
BTW, I learned that BOTH cars are still using the FACTORY injectors and the T has run 11.8's @ 115 @ 21psi and the GN runs 12.2 (?) at 112 @ 22psi.. NONE of these guys have a SCAN TOOL or know what one is!!!:eek: :eek: I'm sure the fuel psi is cranked higher than what is recommended but the T has been raced this way for 7 years. The T has approx 25k original miles and the GN has approx 35K original miles.

Something else: Someone may feel that their car is running GREAT but it's not running the numbers so then maybe their car ISN'T running great.. I have VERY high expectations about how I want my car to "explode" into boost. I don't want ANY lag. So I tune it until I don't have any. No lag = more power.

ooppss.. sorry to ramble soo much..

i also forgot to mention the tranny has been built to the max, the cat converter has been removed and I will be using slicks at the track... and, to reply to one of the first questions, no im not racing one, i just bought it, and i was curious of what it was capable of running when the weather gets nice this spring at the track :)..... i am using a friends computer, he has the camaro, i had a camaro, but i grew outta that, and grew into TR's