Still fuzzy on the ECM converson thing

EyeTalk2Trees

Almost a year ago I had a bunch of work done on my GN by Conely's performance(just bought the car). Since then I've gotten the hang of working on this thing. LC changed the ECM to the 87 version. They told me I still have to use a 84-85 chip on the account of there is somehting else i have to change over to get a 87 to work. i hear other people when talking chips for their Hotair, ask if it will work for an 87 ECM. Which is it?

I'm looking ot replace my 120k+ mile injectors and possibly a chip, do i need an 87 chip or an 84-85 chip. Also the gas here in west texas sucks highest i can get is 90octane and i usually put in a bottle of booster (don't help much but i thought better than nothing, i get it cheap)

any recomemdations and advise to clear this up?

they were probably talking about the maf.the right way to do it is to run an 87 ecm,maf and chip burned to your combination.others have run the 84 maf with the 87 ecm/chip and it has worked.some have had chips burned specifically for the 87 ecm/chip with the 84 maf.many ways to skin that cat:).

if i were you i'd probably get a set of 36lb bluetop injectors and have a chip burned by bob bailey,jim testa or joe lubrant specifically for your combo/octane.

oh,btw unless you're getting your octane booster for free you're paying too much for it.if you want a real octane booster use xylene or toluene from the paint store.or race gas:D.

later,sean

dont know about the chip but as far as fuel dump in a gal. of tolulene every fillup. that should get you to @91 octane
:)

If you have an 87 ecm in your car, you MUST run an 87 chip...The 84/5 chip's programming is completely different...It won't work with the 87 ecm...I doubt that the car would even run at all with an 85 chip in an 87 ecm...

You can use the 84/5 MAF with the 87 chip...The calibrations are only slightly different between the 84/5 MAF and the 86/7 MAF...You will run slightly richer with the 84/5 MAF and the 87 ecm/chip...Best thing to do is to run either a good stock, original 86/7 MAF or swap over to the translator/LT1 or LS1 MAF and never have to worry about that again...

If you do get a chip burned for whatever combo you end up having, make sure you tell them which ecm you have, you setup(turbo, injs, etc), and make absolutely sure that you tell them what the highest octane gas you can find in your area...They can set the chip up with lower timing than normal so that you can run lower octane gas in the car...I would say something like an 18deg timing chip, would be my guess, but could go 17deg and turn the boost up until it just barely tickles the knock sensor and then back off the boost a pound or two to be safe...Especially if your car is still a hotair car with no IC...

that sound simple enough, I'll look into getting a diff MAF.

WFO: Do you think 36lbs will run well on a stock motor? I was thinking 30lbs. My friend got injectors on his Z28 that were too large (he was trying to get more power)it just ran rich, he had to change them back.

that brings up another question, are LT-1 and GN injectors interchangeable? I know they both need different flow rates in stock form, but "blue tops" and others, will they work in GN's if you get the poundage right?

Hey, hope you get it figured out. You know, the Fina/7-11 stations in Lubbock have had 92 for the past year, have they dropped it? Not the first place you'd look for good gas, that's why I mention it.

Art

i'm not sure, the last time I bought a tank of gas from a 7/11 I ended up replacing the pump, filter, and drain the tank. Half of the tank was full of water, and there was some gear oil in it also. I was really bad cause I was half way between lubbock and dallas, a lot of nothing there and I was stuck for 1.5 days trying to get someone to fix it for me (no tools). Trashed that weekend, so now i just go to places that are used a lot and large companies(exxon, texaco, chevron) They maybe just as bad, but i feel better about it and haven't had the problem again.

ANyone on the size of injectors to go with a stock setup? and Do GM (LT-1) injectors bolt right in?

i'm allowing you room to grow:).i wouldn't pay aftermarket injector $$ for 30 lb injectors,if you don't want to go bigger have your stockers cleaned and flowed(they're 28#).

i don't know if the lt1 injectors are the same...either way you will want to use an injector that the chip burners are familiar with so your car will run it's best.

later,sean

if i get 36#'s then i have to find a chip set for them, right? I mean I won't loose power because everything else is stock (cam, turbo, stall) am i right?

Originally posted by EyeTalk2Trees
if i get 36#'s then i have to find a chip set for them, right? I mean I won't loose power because everything else is stock (cam, turbo, stall) am i right?

you will need to have a chip burned for your combo.you can use one that was burned for someone else,but your car will run it's best with a chip burned for you.

if your stock injectors are old and dirty and you are running the stock chip you will see better mileage,idle and power by changing them out.you would probably see the same increases by having your stockers cleaned and having a new chip burned for you.

later,sean

36# injectors work fine w/ a chip for stock injectors. real rich at start up. not enogh for cylinder washdown though. thats more of a 42#problem. runs rich at idle. W/ an afpr you can adjust wot open loop operation. O2 will adjust closed loop paramiters.:)

Originally posted by Brent
36# injectors work fine w/ a chip for stock injectors. real rich at start up. not enogh for cylinder washdown though. thats more of a 42#problem. runs rich at idle. W/ an afpr you can adjust wot open loop operation. O2 will adjust closed loop paramiters.:)

no offense,but you're outta your friggin mind.if you want to try and tune that nightmare you're welcome to it,but don't tell other people it works fine,cuz it sure as hell doesn't.

later,sean

is it the 87 ecm that makes it not work? the whole way of tunining blms than adjust boost for wot is kind of new to me. My combo is about 6yrs old now. works ok together all but the rich idle. I am running 20 # of boost currently. It goes like h**l. never ran it in the quarter though. guess I need to visit here more often and get up to date. things have changed a little I see.

you should do yourself a favor and have a chip burned for your combo.you wouldn't believe the difference.:)

I was thinking about a ta 49 and a powerstroke intercooler and 87ecm. will probably wait till I do that. how much better could it get with just a chip? I realize that my combo is old as dirt technolgicly speaking but, has been trouble free. wish I could say the same for the tranny.

Brent,

Where are you located in Wisconsin?

I have a Casper's UltraChip setup (check out Casper Electronic's website for more details) for the 84-85 ECM with chips for both the stock injectors and 36# bluetops.

You you want to try out this setup on your car, send me an email and maybe we can work something out.