Steering whine.

BeSerious

Hello everyone,

I had the brake conversion done, but now my steering whines.
I understand that the conversion kit uses the power steering to operate, so I am wondering if it is a power issue?

I've checked the fluid and that's fine.

Because of the quarantine, I can't bring the car back to get it looked at by the people who did the conversion,
and I was wondering if there I was something I could do while I wait.

Thanks in advance.

I have used Lucas power steering stop leak ...in the past on many vehicles ...with success ....it also has worked in my GN....it stopped the whine and leaks in multiple applications ...its a cheap 10$ band aid...I know ...and probably not the correct way to fix the issue ultimately ...but what the hell...its one of the only fix in a jug things ...that has actually worked ...

It wines because the fluid is getting aerated (bubbles). There are a couple of solutions. One is putting a flow restrictor in the feed line from the pump. The other is using a reservoir with two return lines rather than a "T" in the return lines back to the reservoir. Post a picture of your setup and plumbing.

It wines because the fluid is getting aerated (bubbles). There are a couple of solutions. One is putting a flow restrictor in the feed line from the pump. The other is using a reservoir with two return lines rather than a "T" in the return lines back to the reservoir. Post a picture of your setup and plumbing.

Holy shit, there is SO much knowledge here.

Thanks everybody for ALL the input. You guys are the greatest! Jus' sayin'.

Mikester,

Is this the T junction you were referring to? (closer to the bottom of the picture) Sorry for the crummy pic.

Attachments

• pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    641 KB · Views: 105
Mikester,

Is this the T junction you were referring to? (closer to the bottom of the picture) Sorry for the crummy pic.
So maybe. I am assuming the conversion you are talking about is to the hydro boost brake system. I have employed a PSC reservoir to manage the hydro boost and have found it acceptable.

If you did the Hydroboost conversion see the Hydroboost thread under brakes
Lot's of info just been part of the up grades to get rid of the wine

Last edited:
The PSC has three ports to reduce the wine
No Tee in the line
But Pricey

Attachments

• PSR 2.jpg
    PSR 2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 99