Steering Column Ignition Key Problem

gthegreatone

Anybody else out there experiencing problems with taking out the ignition keys from the ignition after you've turn-off the car??? In order to take the key off, I have to twist the neck of the steering column to let the key turn all the way down to release the key out... What should I do??? buy a new column???

You could try and turn the column counter clockwise and see if the key will release. If the key then comes out, you can take off the rod under the car from the tranny, with the column turned counter clockwise, adjust the rods length to fit the arm on the column and fit into the linkage on the side of the tranny.

Adjust the shift linkage under the car or replace the shift cable

Yes I've had this problem twice, one time it was on a Nova and the other time it was on a Chevelle, both of which I used to own. Both cars were floor shifted models that the linkage to the column (anti-theft shift stuff) was disconnected, which would allow the shifter stalk to move downwards under driving conditions, vibration, etc.

My fix for it was to run a small piece of wire thru the hole at the end of the column inside the engine compartment where the linkage would go and secure it so that it wouldn't move. Not my proudest moment but it worked.