Steel Shim Or Felpro

HOTSIX, the Felpro 8723PT-1's are what the parts stores I checked at around here said our cars called for. Im sure they are the correct part for our car, only thing is are they the best for them. Im willing to bet they are fine on a stock car running stock boost, but whether they can hold up with all the things we do to our cars, I have no idea. You need to hear from someone who has had experience with them. Felpro has made other gaskets that work for our application, like the Felpro 1000's which are proven, so that may tell you something. The 1000's may be what they would recommend for when you "boost" the performance. I meant to check in the computers at Auto Zone and see if the 8723PT-1 is what they are offering for the NA motors also. Im not even sure what the thickness of them are either.
Okay enough blabbering. Unless someone(s) speaks up and says they have had PLENTY of experience with the 8723PT-1 w/ no problems, if I were you I would just go for gaskets that are known and proven, and call it a day. I had narrowed my decision to the Felpro 1000 and the stock GM (the Cometics look great, but I dont think my car is to the point that I can warrant paying the Cometic price when the other two will work just fine). The 1000's are $37.95 from Summit. Me, I went ahead and ordered the GM's today (just seemed like the right choice for me), they were about $10 a piece.

Thats great advice.

I'll look into getting the 1000's I think.

Just to confirm...1000 is the fel-pro part number ?

Don't use the 8723's...I had them on my FIRST motor before I found gnttype and this BB and I burned through the fire ring between #1 and #3...This was with a motor that was completely stock with only a KB 1txb cam in it...

Next time you're at the parts store, have them look up the head gaskets for a NA 3.8L motor...They'll probably give you the 8723 number...

Use either the stock 84/5 GM steel shim gaskets, the stock 86/7 #25528486, or the Fel-Pro 9441's...

Also, next time at AutoZone, have them look up a transmission filter for our cars...My local AutoZone didn't show a 200-4r for my car...They swore up and down that my car doesn't have a 200-4r because their computer didn't show it... :rolleyes: :mad:

Just because thier computer says that is the part # for your car, don't always believe them...

What is the thickness of the Felpro 9441's? Factory 86-87 are .060" which I know from experience may not be the way you would want to go. The Felpro 1000's are .039" which is at least a bit closer to the factory '84-'85 which is .018".