Starts for less than 1 minute

T4Texas

I'm hoping someone out there can point me in the right direction with this problem. My 87 Turbo T was running fine when I parked it Saturday night. Monday morning it started as usual but only ran for 30 to 45 seconds then died and wouldn't start again. I checked all the connections at the sensors under the hood, still nothing.

I'm sure it is getting plenty of fuel. There was a strong smell of 94 octane after all the cranking.

Tonight when I got home it started for about 3 seconds then wouldn't start again for the rest of the evening. I checked all the connections again to include the ones at the ECM. I removed the IAC, cleaned the pins, and reinstalled it.

I jumped the A & B sockets at the ALDL and got nothing but a constant 12 code. Turbolink didn't show any Malf codes either (not sure if it would without the car running).

As a guess I put a new coilpack on it. Nothing.

Has anyone out there had a similar problem? Any educated guesses? My next shot in the dark will probably be a new cam sensor.

Thanks In Advance for any help.

Stu

Is your fuel pump hotwired? My car would start and die after a few seconds. I blew the fuse in the hotwire kit. It gave enough fuel to start but not keep the car running.

Thanks Tin Man. I checked the hot wire fuse this morning, it was fine.

It's shaping up to be a rough week... second Monday of the week so far.

5ltreter, that is always a possibility. Not sure what I could do to fix it if that's the case.

But... I don't think it is a fuel problem. It seems to be getting plenty of that. I won't have time to disconnect the fuel rail and verify until the weekend probably.

If it is getting fuel I guess I'll be spending a lot of time with a multimeter (which is not my strong point).

Problem turned out to be a bad ignition module.

Thanks Alan and everyone else who offered guesses.

It's good to be boosting again.

The Vortex site is chock full of good info. I'll be spending a lot of time there gleaning knowledge.