starting problems?

rb68rr

The last 3 days my car has failed to start at times as if the battery is shot. But when I had it checked it checked fine. Alternator is putting out between 13.9 and 14.2 volts. I can let it sit overnight and the next morning it will start just fine. However, sometimes i can start it up and drive 2 or 3 miles, cut it off for 30 to 45 minutes, and it seems like the battery is dead again. Then i have to jump it off. WTH???

You need to load test the battery. As was said, you might have a plate moving around. Take the battery to one of your parts stores and have them test it.

Its just strange that it will start fine but drive 5 minutes to the coffee shop and let sit for 45 minutes and the battery is so weak that it wont turn the motor over !!!

About 1 1/2 yrs old. Wires good and posts clean. I did notice one time when it wouldn't start with the key on my scanmaster was on but couldn't cycle through the different parameters. Next time it wouldn't even light up. Pulled out one of the fuses, don't remember which one, but when I put it back in it started working! Strange because the fuse was good!

charge

it sounds to me that your alternator or wiring to or from the battery might be the culprit --you need to read your batt. voltage when inside your car and when cruising to know if the alternator is putting out correctly ..

Load test alone doesn't always prove the battery good or not. Sulfation can weaken a battery over time. I would try another battery, maybe from another car etc. Yes, fuses can corrode over time as my GN wouldn't start because of this. I replaced all the fuses with new ones, used the old ones as spares after cleaning. Another test would be an amp draw on the starter after hot, headers, downpipes etc. can overheat the starter and cause a no crank situation. I like the smaller starters because of size and high output cranking speed. MHO Gene

Got it!!! It was the wire from the alternator to the battery. I wiggled it a little bit at the alternator and it just fell off!!!