Starter Ploblems

SPOOLN

Hey Members,
I am having problems with my car not wanting to start. Here is whats happening. Turn ignition key to start and i get nothing, no clicking of solnoid. Took starter out replaced solnoid car starts. Drive a few miles turn car off. Same thing, no start or clicking on solnoid. Checked voltage to solnoid and it's getting 11.25 volts. battery to solnoid is 12.4 volts. I did replace my Battery so i know thats not it. Only thing i can think of is maybe the ignition switch at the base of steering. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks

Make sure your battery connections are good. I've had stuff like that happen before (not with the buick though). Also make sure all the wires going to the starter have good connections.

Check Your Ground Wire That Goes To The Side Of The Block! It Could Be Loose. I Had The Same Problem, I Took The Starter Out To Make Sure It Worked , And It Did....i Found Out That The Ground Wire From The Battery To The Block Was Loose....good Luck!!

Not sure if you did this, but put your +volmeter lead directly to the big post
of the solenoid where the positive battery cable connects to it, then verify battery voltage *while the key is in the crank position*

Sometimes you'll loose voltage there when you try and draw major amperage through a poor connection.

I think Drifter is on the right track.

starter problems

I checked the grounds they seemed all good, I am going to pull the starter and diassemble it. i am wondering if the brushes might be shot or have a flat spot. I will pull it tomorrow. thanks

Screw pulling the starter again, what about the cables?

You have to test it under a load (cranking)

OR

Get a set of jumper cables, and use the jumper cables from your battery to the starter and ground, that is the easiest way to see if you have a bad cable.

If it cranks over, pull one jumper cable off, its either one or the other that would be bad.

Did that alot down in Loisianna when katrina hit, sea water eats copper, and makes it corrode.

Try the jumper cable trick, easier than a new starter, and check the voltage under a load when cranking.
BW

Screw pulling the starter again, what about the cables?

You have to test it under a load (cranking)

OR

Get a set of jumper cables, and use the jumper cables from your battery to the starter and ground, that is the easiest way to see if you have a bad cable.

If it cranks over, pull one jumper cable off, its either one or the other that would be bad.

Did that alot down in Loisianna when katrina hit, sea water eats copper, and makes it corrode.

Try the jumper cable trick, easier than a new starter, and check the voltage under a load when cranking.
BW
Thanks for the tip! I've been fighting what I thought was a bad battery. Took the car to the mechanic and he tested the battery under load-he said the starter was drawing too many amps (or milli amps or something). If the starter is bad, should I get one of those mini starters?

this happened back when dad was still driving the car, it was a stuck solinoid on the starter. one good wack with the ford wrench (hammer), and wall-ah, it would crank. he finally fixed it. but it is now doing the same thing (15 years later). i hit it with the tire iron, and it will crank right up. i'll get around to fixing it one day, right now the quest for speed is more important than it cranking. :biggrin:

I was just looking at O'reilly's website. they have rebuild kits for starters. I wonder how hard it is to rebuild one. A new starter is $65 but the kit is $20.

one good wack with the ford wrench (hammer), and wall-ah, it would crank. he finally fixed it. but it is now doing the same thing (15 years later). i hit it with the tire iron, and it will crank right up.

Yeah... that works fine for a finite and 'secret' number of times.... and undoubtably, you learn when that last time was at the MOST inconvenient moment.... ask me how I know... :rolleyes: :tongue:

Thanks for the tip! I've been fighting what I thought was a bad battery. Took the car to the mechanic and he tested the battery under load-he said the starter was drawing too many amps (or milli amps or something). If the starter is bad, should I get one of those mini starters?

Instead of rebuilding your existing one, i would just buy one with a warranty.

Most likely if the brushes have gone bad in the starter, then the armature is probably damaged. You would spend more money getting the armature tested with a growler, than just getting a new starter.

Mine went out at work, click click click.. dammit, and the hammer trick just didnt cut it. Ended up pushing it in with a john deere gator, jacked it up, and pulled a used starter out of my turbo buick stash in my tool box. lol, l got lucky that day.
Get a new one and be done with it., but i would see if it starts better with the jumper cable trick. Its alot easier if you have a top and side post battery, but if not, make sure your cable connections are CLEAN and snug.
BW