starter not running

dadmomcat

The car has not been running for a while. Try to start up the car and NO starter. I have check my battery and it has a full charge.

Went i turn the key to start, nothing happens. Question if the orange ECM from + battery wire was broken, would this stop the starter from starting ??

Is the color of the stater wire going to the starter solenoid pink in color ???

Any help out there !!!!!

The starter will still work if the ECM wire is disconnected.

Have someone wack the starter while you are holding the key turned all the way to the start position. If the starter suddenly kicks on, its probably the solenoid sticking.

If this doesn't work, test for 12 volts at the starter solenoid.

Are your battery terminals clean and are the cables good?

Don't assume your battery is fully charged, try jumping it also.

The starter is easy to change if you drop the crossover pipe.

Good luck.

WOW!! I was just about to start a new thread with a starter question!! Mine just went KAPUT, also(had to do the hammer thing to free it up). Do the Grand Nationals use the same starter as the Regals? I don't want to tell the the guy at the counter it is for a Grand National and have him add on another $50 to it like on Caddy's and Vette's.

It looked like a regular GM starter. I asked for a GN rebuilt starter and got it at Autozone for $40.

I don't know if there is a difference, my guess is no difference since its not a high compression motor stock.

I don't know if there is a fuseable link, my battery cable went direct to the solenoid.

The turbo starters are slightly different than the other Regal starters.

That being said I would say any rebuilt one would work fine.

Got a Bosch rebuilt from NAPA for $68 and no core. I told them for a Regal with the 3.8Litre turbo engine, nothing else. :)

These cars are relatively easy to start up. ;)

Purple wire is from the key switch to the solenoid terminal.

Turbos use the same starters as NA 231. In a pinch you can also use any starter made for a SBC(small block Chevy). Eric Fisher

if there is not even a click, try taking a jack handle or somthing stick like and try hitting the starter a few times, when the starter is going bad and gets hot it tends to lock, and not even click, everything else will work but the starter.

HTH

The turbo starter has different specs. than the N/A one.

Whether they actually built them to those specs. I don't know or if anyone has ever verified it. :confused:

They all physically fit which pretty much is all that matters. :)

I'll post the manual specs. later.

Quite possibly they all cross-reference to one number these days.
Quite possibly they were all built the same anyway knowing GM. ;)

I got a lifetime warranty for a Regal for $40. I considered one of the SBC gear starters, but the price scared me away - it would be about 9 lbs lighter.

Allegedly the 5.0L Y engine code Regal uses a 5MT starter.

Allgedly the 3.8L A and 7 engine code Regals use the 10MT starter.

3.8L A engine has 60-90 amp. draw with 6.5K to 10.5K RPMS.

3.8L 7 engine has 45-74 amp. draw with 8.6K to 12.9K RPMS for our cars.

I haven't tested any myself. ;)

Many flavors of starters appear to work just fine in our cars. :)