Stall Speed Recommendation

OneFastT

I need to get some recommendations on torque converter stall speeds. Below is most of my combination. What stall would you recommend? My first thought is between 4500-5000. I just want to make sure its not to high or to low. My goal ET is mid-high 8's.

3400# with Driver
Stage 2 274" cid
Stage 2 aluminum ported heads
Cam (.230/.230 @ .050 / Gross Valve Lift=.590 Intake & Exhaust)
PTE 88 Turbo
90mm throttle body
T400 with trans brake
32x15" Rear tires (Full Tub with 4 Link suspension)
3.90 Rear End Gear with full spool
35 Spline axles

What do you guys think? This one area I'm not real comfortable with.

Thanks in advance.

Jason Smith

Originally posted by OneFastT
I need to get some recommendations on torque converter stall speeds. Below is most of my combination. What stall would you recommend? My first thought is between 4500-5000. I just want to make sure its not to high or to low. My goal ET is mid-high 8's.

3400# with Driver
Stage 2 274" cid
Stage 2 aluminum ported heads
Cam (.230/.230 @ .050 / Gross Valve Lift=.590 Intake & Exhaust)
PTE 88 Turbo
90mm throttle body
T400 with trans brake
32x15" Rear tires (Full Tub with 4 Link suspension)
3.90 Rear End Gear with full spool
35 Spline axles

What do you guys think? This one area I'm not real comfortable with.

Thanks in advance.

Jason Smith
6000 is where I would guess! thats about where my SS car would leave the best. But I had twin turbos & a 4.30 gear shifted about 7800. It has been said that the ideal stall speed is about 300 rpm before peak torque.

You should be ok with around 5000.
Do not get a cheap converter.

If you want a ATI call Bill Anderson.
If you want a Neal Chance call Turbo People.
If you want a Bradco call Kip Aspland.
Pro Torque is pretty good also.

Jason,

We've been selling and using an ATI convertor with excellent results in several S2 power plants. The stall varies according to power level, I've stalled as high as 5000 plus on the brake with lots of launch boost.... :cool: it locks up after launch somewhere in the 6000-6400 range. It's a lot less expensive than the NC convertors and works as well as any I've seen.

I can assist you with your selection of an ATI converter, due to stator design, they are very efficient. We spent ALOT of R&D time with ATI to develop the ultimate stator combination for the turbocharged Buick V6. They are local to us and offer excellent service and turn around time. We offer 1 free restall within 60 days of the purchase. Give me a ring if you need some help.