Stall speed question

Marc87GN

When I was gathering parts to complete my project, I bought a 3K stall Raptor converter from someone. It seems to be stalling fairly high and is not that efficient below 2K rpms. The car doesn't seem to move well until I exceed 2200+ rpms. Is is possible that the 3K stall was meant for a stock car and will be significantly higher with my setup? I'm still breaking in the engine so I haven't gone over 2-3 psi. I spent alot of time with stall converters in my 99GT, but this is the first one in the GN. I'm worried that with it this loose that it will create alot of heat driving around town.

Was the converter out of another Turbo buick?

Is it 10" or 12"?

Yes is is possible that a 3000 stall for a Monte carlo would be totally different in a Turbo Buick. Once you get some miles on the engine and feel more comfortable with driving the car harder, see what the stall does. Your Turbo should probably have a higher stall to start.

Hope this helps.

ESP Products said:
Was the converter out of another Turbo buick?

Is it 10" or 12"?

Yes is is possible that a 3000 stall for a Monte carlo would be totally different in a Turbo Buick. Once you get some miles on the engine and feel more comfortable with driving the car harder, see what the stall does. Your Turbo should probably have a higher stall to start.

Hope this helps.

I appreciate the response. It's actually a Raptor 9.5"/12" converter that came out of another GN. It had about 500 miles on it and looked brand new when I bought it. It just seems a little loose in my opinion, but the lock-up is firm and can be felt.

#5X. " Extreme Duty Power Raptor Lock-up " Fits 200-4R transmissions. This is a 9 1/2 inch converter with a 12 inch lock-up carbon fiber clutch rated up to 700 horse power. Can be ordered in stall speeds of 2000 to 4000 RPM. We stock 2600, 2800, 3000 and 3200. Lower 60 foot times and improved quarter mile times, an average of 1/2 second reduction! This torque converter has a torque multiplication rate of 2.5. The Ultimate Top of the Line Lock-Up Converter. Cost $550.00

Attachments

• 9X12.jpeg
    9X12.jpeg
    12.4 KB · Views: 111