Stainless two piece down pipe

MNcarbturbo

What's Fuel Injection?
Planning on trading Mike my old aluminized down pipe for some 3.42's and I got sick of taking my AC compressor off every time I wanted the down pipe off so I built a stainless two piece. Spent about 15 minutes polishing it.

picture006.jpg

Its a european exhaust coupler. Bought it from hearthrob exhaust outta litchfield MN. They are expensive but really small and easy to connect. They have about 15 degrees of flex and the clamp is just one bolt and can sit any way you want. They are really cool.

I think I need a joint like that. If been running a modified 84/85 downpipe on my car with a crappy piece of flex pipe joining the top and bottom half. I plan to get it welded properly this spring, but this may even be better. The 15° of flex would mean the installation wouldn't need to be perfect, so the down could be taken to any exhaust shop and welded on.

This thread will help explain what I mean. Too bad there aren't any cheap hot air DP like the ATR unit any more.
http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/before-black/49428-downpipe-thread.html

That flex pipe isn't legal during an inspection here in Texas so a joint like pictured would be a good thing. Looks like it would give you some movement if it's not tight though.

When you tighten the clamp down it is not moveable. I dont know if you left it a bit loose if it would leak or not. It certainly wouldnt come apart, but it may not seal as good.

I built it. I have almost enough parts to build one more. Just need one bend and the coupler.

I was thinking $275 -$300 for it. Stainless is not cheap and tig welders dont work for sandwiches.

PM me your email and I might be able to help with the stainless. I'm on a mailing list for a tubing company when they have over runs and I just got a new list Saturday with some 3" on it.

Got it in the car today. I also put on a set of 84/85 GN headers. I have to cut my cat delete pipe 2" shorter and get it flared to hook up to the down pipe. This one is a bit longer than my old one. I took it for a drive around the block and it sounded like a big block/jet. Doesnt sound like a V6 at idle with no mufflers. It is actually pretty quiet but it shakes the interior stupid.

picture014.jpg

picture012.jpg

picture013.jpg

picture015.jpg

Got it in the car today. I also put on a set of 84/85 GN headers. I have to cut my cat delete pipe 2" shorter and get it flared to hook up to the down pipe. This one is a bit longer than my old one. I took it for a drive around the block and it sounded like a big block/jet. Doesnt sound like a V6 at idle with no mufflers. It is actually pretty quiet but it shakes the interior stupid.

picture014.jpg

picture012.jpg

picture013.jpg

picture015.jpg

Looks great Have you driven it since you put on the hot air headers yet ? If so how do you like them ?

I would say build a new up pipe as well which will help the boost at the same time. It took me a while to figure it out but with the old Postons HA pass side header and up pipe it allows for more expansion of the gasses and speeds up the spooling of the turbo some.:)

I considered builind a new up pipe. More for looks than anything. Although it does neck down and do some funky stuff. I am more concerned with buying a different crossover as the one I have is in rough shape. Road rash on the bottom, dented all to hell by the starter, and cracked on the passenger side manifold flange.