Stage II powerplant with Fiero umbrella

fog

Once upon a time, in a land far-far away a Idea was born...

It was around August 1. 2009...

IMGP3718_small.jpg

IMGP3857_small.jpg

IMGP3978_small.jpg

IMG_2361.JPG

IMG_2391-small.jpg

IMGP4097.JPG

IMGP4340.JPG

IMGP4517.JPG

IMGP4701.JPG

IMGP4706.JPG

Nice work, especially for being so far from good parts! Seeing that transaxle mounted 180° from it's intended direction makes me ask, will it have 4 forward gears and 1 reverse...or...1 forward gear and 4 reverse? :confused:

Nice work, especially for being so far from good parts! Seeing that transaxle mounted 180° from it's intended direction makes me ask, will it have 4 forward gears and 1 reverse...or...1 forward gear and 4 reverse? :confused:
No, the diff is flipped and the stub shafts modified.
Trans is mounted like that to get a little better weight distribution. The trans is like 150lb dry + 150lb diff and having the trans centerline a foot in front of the axle is better than vice versa.

A pic from the mock-up phase:
IMGP3846.JPG

You're gonna need bigger tires. :D

Yup. Tires and rims will be here around April 15th. Ships sail a long time from the states. 15x10 rims and 14.5x28 Hoosier quick time pro-s.

The engine is back in car and today I installed headers, etc. There is still about 10+ hours of work before first fireup, so I'm guessing Sunday:)

Yup. Tires and rims will be here around April 15th. Ships sail a long time from the states. 15x10 rims and 14.5x28 Hoosier quick time pro-s.

The engine is back in car and today I installed headers, etc. There is still about 10+ hours of work before first fireup, so I'm guessing Sunday:)

Even more than bigger tires you need bigger wheeliebars with this rear mounted engine and featherweight car :biggrin:

Not to knock your very creative fab work but how are you going to keep from getting hot spots in the front cylinders since the coolant will barely flow there? I don't know if the plenum pattern is different on a BGC but RJC just came out with a plenum reversing plate so you could put the intake on front ways and not worry about the cooling as much.

Thanks everyone. I have had only 3-hour garage sessions last few days, but todays timeframe seems better.
I just need to get it to run, to regain some motivation.

About the cooling, having the intake the right way will have hot cyl-s in #5 and #6. My problem is not bigger, but just on other cyl-s?

The beast is almost alive! It made a couple of pops/ran 3 seconds today, but did not stay running. There is some ignition gremlin and also some wiring to change.
I bended some "red and bold" rules on the BS3 book, so I need to rewire a little before actual troubleshooting.

It looks like the pan rail has been machined down or is it an optical illusion? Was this done for chassis clearance?

Neal

It looks like the pan rail has been machined down or is it an optical illusion? Was this done for chassis clearance?

Neal

Just an optical illusion. The stub shaft cleared the rotating assembly with 2" spacer between the block and trans that moved the stub shaft to below #2 main.

The beast is ALIVE!

I modified the C16 file by adding 70% fuel to get from 15.5 C16 A/F to 9.0 E100 A/F and it fired right up.
There are tons of little things to do, but that does not cloud my happiness:)

This is cool!

Can you get a modified TR hood and mount it backwards as the rear hatch? :biggrin:

The beast is ALIVE!

I modified the C16 file by adding 70% fuel to get from 15.5 C16 A/F to 9.0 E100 A/F and it fired right up.
There are tons of little things to do, but that does not cloud my happiness:)

IS there any room for passengers??? I wanna go for a ride in this SOB!!! Nice ride!!!