Stage II Off Centre 3.8

slim

Block is a rare after July '85 cast 3.8 Off Center siamese cylinder Stage II that has been finish machined and is ready to assemble. The block is finish honed to 3.830", has steel caps at all four locations(#2 and #3 are 4 bolt with outers splayed), takes a BBC rear main seal and is very hard to find. Comes with Terry Houston Oil Pan (Chromed) and Pickup and ARP Main Stud Kit

I bought the block off the board. The guy I purchased it from bought it as a virgin. He then had it machined by Cal Hartlines machine shop and assembled the block himself. The engine spun its cam bearings within 50 miles of startup. The engine was disassembled and sent back to the machine shop for repair. The block has had the cam bores bored oversize and sleeves pressed into the cam bores and then the cam bores were align honed to accept the stock cam bearings.

The Billet rotating assembly...which includes Scat Billet 3.4" stroke crank, Oliver Billet 6.5" rods, JE Forged 8.5:1 pistons/rings and JW Flywheel /ARP bolts. The assembly was internally balanced for Cal Hartline at 50% and everything is like new. The crank alone goes for $2,800 new.

The entire package, as described above, will include the Terry Houston chromed oilpan/pickup, ARP main stud kit, Hartline blueprinted high volume front cover and the billet roller cam hardware (lifters, pushrods, timing chain and cam hardware). Block is finish machined, clean and ready to assemble.

$5,000.- obo.

Please PM me your phone number if you would like to speak with me personally.

Pistons are +.030" or 3.830". Rods are narrow journal.

Everything is located in Vancouver, Canada and I'll make sure it's all packed and shipped professionally.

Good question, norbs. I would have to do a sonic test of the siamese area between the cylinders to give you a definitive answer...but I would venture to say that the block could most likely be bored another .030" without any problems whatsoever.

Because the block came from the Mclaren Indy team there are six cooling holes drilled horizontally through each siamese area. The Indy engines needed every little bit when it came to cooling so they did this mod to allow coolant to run between the siamese cylinders. This is the area I would have to sonic check before I could answer definitively...but, like I said, I don't think a slightly larger bore would be a problem.

Cal Hartline is familiar with this block as is Bill Anderson and Neal Steward if you would like to consult an expert

I've had several people express interest in the parts...but nobody has stepped up with $$$ yet. I'm going over to my machinist's place on Tuesday and will take pics of everything. Once I have the pics...EBay would seem like the place for me to get the most out of it money wise...but I'm open to offers until Friday...at which point I'll list it on EBay.

It would cost you at least $8,000 to put together a parts list like this:

Stage II Off Centre Block =$2,200.-
Scat Billet Crank =$2,200.-
Oliver Billet Rods =$1,000.-
J/E Forged Pistons =$ 600.-
machining on block/balancing =$1,000.-
misc.(pan, pickup, JW Flexplate, cam hardware, lifters, pushrods, gaskets, front cover, ARP main stud kit
=$1,000.-