Stage 2 heater box mod

any helpfull instuctions, pictures, or templates? i am not sure where to start the cut on the air box all i received with the kit was a one page picture of the kidney plate with no clear directions

if you are doing it for better clearance with tall valve covers on production style heads, then go for it. If you are actually doing it for stage heads forget it. The plate just allows the stage II heads to fit. Still no clearance for removing valve covers. After starting it on my Stage II headed car I chucked it all and installed a vintage air unit behind the dash. Had to give up my glove box, but now I have no A/C box at inn in the engine bay. Tons of room now for spark plug changes, huge downpipe, etc. Installing a heat only unit behind the dash would be even easier. Instructions are nonexistant. You just have to fiberglass it in and hope it looks good.

Greg Kring

Melvin, I PM'd you. Greg, I can get my S2 Valve covers on and off, FWIW. It's tight, but it works. I'm curious, did you use your stock GM A/C compressor with the Vintage kit inside the car, or Vintage's? How did you resolve the compressor bracket issue with S2 heads?
Inquiring minds want to know. :)

Thanks for the information i am makeing the mod for the Stage 2 transplant and i also made arangements with a local shop to make 5 small heater cores, one was to be a spare. The shop would not give me a good price on 1 unit so i obligated my self to buy 5 at a estimated price of 185.00 i hope the price dosent change and that i will find a home for the rest of them.

Melvin Thomas said:
Thanks for the information i am makeing the mod for the Stage 2 transplant and i also made arangements with a local shop to make 5 small heater cores, one was to be a spare. The shop would not give me a good price on 1 unit so i obligated my self to buy 5 at a estimated price of 185.00 i hope the price dosent change and that i will find a home for the rest of them.

I had my local rad/heater core shop make me one. After he maid it, he told me to never ask him to do that again. :confused:

As far as getting the V/C off, Its gonna be pot luck. I've seen them clear w/out the heater box mods. I've also had the v/c notched in the back, bottom corner for more clearence to get them on/off.

Good luck :)

Mac in SD said:
Melvin, I PM'd you. Greg, I can get my S2 Valve covers on and off, FWIW. It's tight, but it works. I'm curious, did you use your stock GM A/C compressor with the Vintage kit inside the car, or Vintage's? How did you resolve the compressor bracket issue with S2 heads?
Inquiring minds want to know. :)

I left the brackets pretty much stock. The L shaped on at the front header bolt had to go away. The alternator one I just trimmed and bent to clear the valve cover. The only bracket not stock is the missing L-shaped one. I have worked on countless stock vehicles missing that bracket with no issues, and have had no issues so far. I am using one of the universal A/C units. Same compressor, just had to make new lines for the extra length. Very tight fit behind the dash. No glovebox storage anymore. i also had to fab up the ductwork to fit the defroster vents and channel the air to the factory A/C vents. It's really a behind the dash unit. All the factory dash undercovers still bolt up. I have 2 inch gauges where the factory A/C controls were, so the A/C controls are in the "glovebox". Really I only put it in for the guys who like to point out that ny car is a "racecar" since it does not have A/C. If it wasn't for that I would have just put a heat only unit in the car. I can't ever see me driving the car in conditions that would require A/C. A low 9 second car is just not meant to be a driver.
Greg

Which Vintage Air unit did you use? Is it made especially for the TR or is it one of their generic units?
Conrad Carter

summit said:
I am using one of the universal A/C units. Same compressor, just had to make new lines for the extra length. Very tight fit behind the dash. No glovebox storage anymore. i also had to fab up the ductwork to fit the defroster vents and channel the air to the factory A/C vents. It's really a behind the dash unit.

Universal-mucho fabrication involved. I would only recommend it for stage II headed cars due to the fact they won't really fit with the stock A/C box.

Greg