squeal/squeaking noise

GNXDad

My 87 GN has this squealing(more squeaking) noise. I put on a smaller belt as this forum suggested however the noise got worse. I think it maybe the steering pump pulley? Or is the pulley just a solid chunk of metal with no bearings? Would this make that sort of noise if it is worn? The pump itself is not leaking and shows no signs or sounds of wear. Any thoughts?

Steering pump pulley is pressed on to the pump shaft, no bearing for the pulley itself. Squirt WD40 on the belt does the noise go away temporarily- that tells you if its the belt itself. I put goodyear gatorback belts on my cars to fix squeak issues, they even fixed my Z06 squeaking too.

I doubt this is your situation, but I like to share one of my experiences.

I had what I would consider a "small chirp" that drove me nuts. It was not a belt squeal, but more like a bearing noise. I thought it was the PS pump and replaced it - no joy. In the end, it turned out to be the PS pulley. It had developed hairline cracks between the 3 holes (spokes of the pulley). The pulley finally broke off at the spokes one day, and there was rust inside the break line - this is how I finally understood what was going wrong.

I had a similar issue and it wound it being one of the threaded pieces/nuts welded on the back ac compressor bracket that the long bolts go into had broke loose (weld broke) and was wiggling as the engine idled and made a squeaky squeal noise.

Also, Make sure your belt has the tensioner in the proper window of operation.

With your belt on take a look and you will see a line and a winow on the tensioner body (IIRC its towards the engine side of it). If not go a a lil smaller on thH belt and see if that helps. Some parts chains have too long of a belt listed for our cars.

A loose power steering bolt or two would also cause the squeal.

When the bolt breaks it gets louder. :eek:

Found that out the hard way one year, new belts, tensioner, tensioner pulley, etc. did nothing.

Check the pump for tightness with belt off in it's mounting accessory bracket position.

all excellent ideas. the sound does have the "chirp" sound . the pulley has over 120,000 on it , i will check all bolts etc... thanks again...will let you all know the outcome though it wont be anytime soon , need a break this has been driving me nuts! LOL

I had the same issue, The crank sensor locator broke and the sensor was touching the crank once in a while. Sounded exactly like a minimal belt chirp. Dan at GN Northwest said I was very lucky as they don't usually just crack they break and there you are dead on the road. Might be something to check anyway.

Steering pump pulley is pressed on to the pump shaft, no bearing for the pulley itself. Squirt WD40 on the belt does the noise go away temporarily- that tells you if its the belt itself. I put goodyear gatorback belts on my cars to fix squeak issues, they even fixed my Z06 squeaking too.

This was this issue. I used the smaller gates 635 and it still squeaked. Should I go to the 630?

What gatorback part no/size did you go with???

TIA

This was this issue. I used the smaller gates 635 and it still squeaked. Should I go to the 630?

What gatorback part no/size did you go with???

TIA

I'm using gatorback 4060642, which is actually too big, but its runs fine and doesn't squeak. I got that one because it was all they had in stock.

Old thread, new ?
The new engine has the "bird chirp".. Appears that it hits as the writing on the outside of the belt goes over the p/s pulley.
Have checked all the accessory mounts.. tite, all supports on and tite. Belt is new.
AIRC, there was a discussion on one of the car forums about the stamping on the back of the belt, making a chirp when the smooth side goes over a smooth pulley. NE1 remember/see this?
NE1 have the p/s pulley belt contact face painted?

I had a similar situation. I took the belt off and hand sanded the surface rust of the power steering pulley. It cleared right up.