Squeak Cant Figure It Out

Boost231

What's An Intercooler
Staff member
Well i have this squeak and i cant figure it out. it sounds as if its a squeaky belt but its not. if the car is running it sounds like a squeaky belt but its coming from the drivers side valve cover area. so i pulled the valve cover breather off and it gets louder. so i then pull the valve cover off and unplug the ecm and crack it and watch every rocker move and checked for bent push rods and what not. so i pulled all 3 plugs on the drivers side and it goes aways. so i can crank the car and it doesnt squeak. i put all 3 plugs back in it starts squeaking again. i then pull the #3 plug no squeak. put the #3 plug in squeak. i pulled the plug and put my thumb over the hole and it has pressure. i havent put a compression gauge on it but it seems if the cylinder has pressure in it its pushing threw some area. does anyone have any ideas. this all started at the WCN. i made 7 passes on friday and 3 on saturday. i pulled back into the pits after the 3rd pass and it was making this sound. i thought it was the turbo since it had shaft play so i has sent that off already to precision turbo and it was bad but was not the cause of the problem. the car has 84,000 miles on it and i have started using alky. boost was at a low 22psi. please help. thanks

Boost231

I never heard a motor squeak before, other than a fan belt. But maybe you should try and isolate the problem by taking a compression or a leak down test to determine if you hurt anything on your last pass. Good luck and Hope this helps.

yup

i agree i need to put a compression gauge on it. the car runs fine idles fine and the turbo link #\'s are spot on. the cars revs fine and shows no lose of power.
:cool:

Hard to find squeak...

I developed a squeak about 300 miles after a new engine install. I found a few things wrong. One - when I installed my Big Mouth 4 inch air intake system I had pushed the top radiator hose down so that the clamp that goes on the alternator bolt was rubbing the idle tension pulley. Eventually it rubbed a notch through the clamp and cut the hose. Two - the belt ilde pulley itself was bad. Three and the most serious - I installed a new torque converter with the new engine and I used three star washers to space the converter from the flex plate. Although I used lock-tite the washers bolts worked themselves loose. This made a churping sound. Good luck finding yours. Don't stop looking untl you find it.

well

i think i have pretty much narrowed it down to the #3 cylinder. somthing is going on there. i was thinking i could be way off that some how its leaking threw the head like the valve isnt seating all the way or something with the head and when the cylinder starts to make compression its pressing threw somewhere causing the \"squeak\". like when you blow up a balloon and pull the sides of the end and it causes that loud sqweal. this might be a long shot but maybe since im using alky injection it broke up some carbon and when it went to leave the cylinder it got stuck between the valve and the valve seat and got stuck there so when the valve is closed it presses threw alittle since there is a small particle of carbon there. i dont know just thinking out loud. :confused:

correction

i have a correction. i dont know why i put the #3 cylinder its the #5 cylinder. its the drivers side rear cylinder. i guess i was thinking 3rd cylinder from the front but its #5

Check those rocker shafts closely. If they are factory original rockers and shafts, they have been known to crack and eventually break due to years of heat cycles and a thin design. But that would make noise with or without the plug installed. This kinda sounds like a possible ring or internal issue after your descriptions.
Tough to say without really tearing into it.

well i got a update. i went out tonight and did a compression test. the results are in. ALL #\"S ARE WITH THE ENGINE COLD #1 145psi #3 145psi #5 100psi. I put oil in #5 and it went to 105psi. i guess it time to pull the head. im guessing head gasket into water jacket???? or maybe lifted the head and its got a leak now???? either way head has to come off.

hell maybe it poped into the liffter valley that might be why im getting more smoke or air out of the valve cover breather then i remember having.