Sponge Rubber Padding on back of Trim

basherbob

I am in process of redoing the exterior piller trim on my 86 GN T-Top. There is sponge rubber type padding on the back of the trim that I have to replace since it was pretty well deteriorated. This is an unusually soft compressible padding that I can't seem to find anywhere.

What are people using behind the trim now when the cars get repainted and/or the trim reworked. Is there a source for this padding to put on the back side of the trim?

You may want to get turbofish38 involved. Maybe a PM? He (Herb) seems to have something to say on this topic in the search I just did...

strike

That is the two sided tape used in mounting. I just used 3M moulding tape. It is under the other trim rails around the window, also.

The foam seal wasn't available on the A-pillar moldings. Now I just did a set of weatherstrips on my solid roof and I used the black weatherstrip caulking that a glass shop would use on the 1/4 glass or windsheild. You want to use something pliable like that. All you need is a thin bead. Make sure you use something though. It will leak like a sithe when it rains if you dont.

I think he's talking about the foam tape under the "L" shaped trim pieces for T-Tops...it's thick but very spongy/soft...when I redid my T-Top seals I tried for months to find that stuff but couldn't...I tried several different types of foam tape from Home Depot..Lowes...etc but nothing worked..I ended up going to a home A/C parts supplier...he had some stuff that was pretty close...it's black...very soft...it's just not as thick as the OEM stuff...but it worked very well because the trim pieces when screwed down really compress the foam so you want something that is real soft...otherwise the trim pieces don't sit down quite right...I bought a roll of it and have plenty left...I can check out what brand it is and if there's a part number...

Thanks MSDGN, That's exactly what I need. The pieces definately don't fit with HD and Lowes 3 tape or weatherstrip foam.

Please let me know the manufacturer and part number if you can find it. Meanwhile I will follow your que and check out an A/C supplier.

ttt.

Still having trouble finding the right material....

Surely someone has had to replace this material

and this is the foam seal that goes behind the trim plates that go up the side of the rear pillar under the weatherstripping at the back of the door glass.

Sounds like the same stuff I described that is used on the solid roof weatherstrip retainers. Its just a seal to keep the water out. I would imagine normal foam doesn't have the right density to keep water out. If it was me I would try the urethene. It cant hurt,right?

Just to close out this thread for future reference, I ended up finding 1/8" thick x 1" wide closed cell very compressible Sponge Rubber tape at McMaster-Carr out of Chicago. They have one heck of a selection and it only ended up costing $13.50 for 50', shipped. This has worked out perfectly. Good Luck.