Speedometer

realspartan

Hi Guys,

What can I use to lubricated the speedometer cable since my speedometer needle bounces? Is there another fix? Ny trip counter does not work. Does it need a lube as well? Is there another fix for that one? Let me know...

Regards,
Realspartan

Besides the cable maybe needing some lubrication, you could also check the speedo gear on the trans, some are plastic and will wear a pattern causing your speedo needle to bounce.

I had an issue similar where the speedo would sometimes read and bounce around. I tried lube and it didn't work. Took speedo gear out and could not tell if it was worn to the naked eye, but went ahead and ordered a new one. Put new gear in and it reads steady again except for low speeds like 35 under. Went ahead and replaced the govenor gear that turns the speedo gear as well and now all is good.

Spartan, where ya located? I've got a cable luber that you use with a grease gun. I just take the cable out, shoot some grease in it and then put the guts back in. The gears can give you a problem as well so you need to check them out.

Located far away in Montreal, Canada; origins from Sparta Greece descendent of Leonidas. Let me know what I have to do about the speedo. What do I do first, second and so on. Thanks for your help.

Realspartan

White/lithium grease for cable (remove 1st, of course...)--either spray or tube (as available). Be CAREFUL to not get any grease on VSS/ electronics @ back of dash...

Hi guys,

Is the speedometer gear and the govenor gear are on the transmission where the speedometer cable enters the transmission? Let me know...

Regards,
Realspartan