speedometer cable

Wookie

I'm in the process of replacing my speedometer cable. I have the new cable pushed in through the firewall but I can't seem to get it lined up with the gauge cluster. The cable is coming in above the steering column and below what I guess is safety plate. Unfortunately, I didn't pay close enough attention when I removed the old cable to see how it was routed behind the dashboard. I assumed that once I got the old cable out the hard part would be to get the new cable through the firewall. I didn't think there would be a problem getting it to line up. Are there any tips or tricks to get the cable above this plate and lined up with the gauge cluster?

I don't remember having any problems when I replaced mine. I believe I may have loosed the 2 bolts under the steering wheel to drop it down some. You may have to use s hanger and feed it thru from under the dash Into the engine bay. Then duck tape wrap it to the Speedo cable and pull it back through

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I had a hard time as you are. I think I ran mine over the plate you are talking about. It took about an hour of trying different things to snake mine through. I could force my hand to it and inch it in with mnt finger tips

Brandon

I got the speedometer cable reattached at the gauge cluster. :)

Now I'm having trouble removing the old cable from underneath the car. It's detached from the transmission, but I can't fish it out between the frame, wheel well, firewall. This space is really tight. Any ideas, tips or tricks?

What a PITA!