Specially Constructed?

Hidden6

I live in AZ so I know the emissions laws will vary some, but could you clarify the way the emissions restrictions are decided?

I'm building a vehicle from scratch. But the way AZ law is written, because the vehicle will be largely constructed of manufactured parts it will be considered a reconstructed vehicle.

So in an example like this I would be able to choose the model/year of the vehicle that most of the parts come from, or by the year of the engine / make of the car that the engine came out of? I know here there is also a restriction that prevents us from using an engine older than the original vehicle engine.

Is there a generic test for an engine of a specific year or is it assumed that the test is for the vehicle the motor is from?

I don't know if any of these regulations are federally mandated or if AZ laws(Maricopa county, Phoenix) are anywhere close to what California does. But if you can answer any to the best of your knowledge, I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks,
-J

I suspect that each state applies emissions standards based on Federal emissions models and test. The categories are separated into light duty cars, light duty trucks, medium duty trucks and HD trucks. Then the standards are broken down into year ranges 68-74 (NOx controls and air injection) 75-77 (catalytic converters), 78-80 (first generation OBD), 81-89 (OBD1)90-95 (OBD1), and 96-current (OBD2). Within the year ranges, the feds tighten the clean air act and applied maximum emissions standards to each category. Most states use one or two form(s) of the federal test procedure (FTP) for their emissions test and loosen the standard, with an attempt to tighten the standard to the FTP. Some states apply the emission standard of the engine for a SPCN (specialty constructed vehicle) and CA has a new less stingent program (SB100-senate bill 100, you'll have to do some research). Also, I'm not sure the year breaks are correct, but you get the idea. Some people want to buy the vehicle already completed by the manufacturer, but then you get into a class called Small Volume Manufacturer (SVM). SVMs usually have to meet current new motor vehicle emissions standards. That's it in a nutshell.