Special tools

fast400

I plan on doing a rebuild and upgrade with the Art Carr kit. Which special tools are a definate must when doing a full rebuild?

Don't know where it's mentioned but , Jakeshoe tells what specialized tools you can do without . All the special tools that a pro builder has access to would cost $$$$$$$$$ .
I built my own . Replacing the bushings was the hardest thing . I made my own stuff to do that .
I borrowed a transmission spring compressor from my Brother-inlaw . That was a life saver .

Snap ring pliers are a must . All the fasteners are metric except maybe the line pressure take off bolt .
Guy named Andy on gnttype.org used to have some good tips .
ATSG manual or CK's book would be a plus .
Whole lot more to it than I've mentioned . I had to learn the hard way . I still don't know enough but am willing to learn .

Good luck . . . . . Gordon

A low/reverse puller tool. I have read it can be done with some homemade stuff but for the hassle and time the right tools seem much easier to me. Ebay usually has them pretty cheap. And bushing drivers, though taking it to your local trans shop can get this accomplished pretty cheaply. Same with the compressor for the clutch packs.

http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/T-700-309.html

I think Jake also mentioned using a universal cam bearing replacement tool or something similiar for bushing replacement . Said it worked well . Might find that on e-bay also .

Kind of rinky dink but I made my seal protectors out of cut up beer cans .