Speakers for 99GS

99GS

One of the rear speakers in my GS is blown. I have a 16 year old son that also drives the car, but I'm sure that has nothing to do with it. Any suggestions on replacing just the rear speakers and does it make any sense to replace them all. This is a non-monsoon system.

Thanks
99GS

I'm a newbie at moding my 99 GS but I know a thing or two about speakers...

From looking at my 99GS, the speakers are under mounted and easily accessible. (check for loose wires b4 replacing!)

Size looks like 6"x9". You could find some 6x9s and swap them out pretty fast. If one isnt working I would at least swap out the 2 rears so they match.

When looking for replacements I wouldnt spend a mint on rear speakers. I would get some name brand 6x9 2-way speakers with a price between $50 and $80 at bestbuy or similiar. The real car audio buffs say the rear speakers are for fill anyway as you should have the front/rear fade more towards the front (where your good speakers are [should be] located).

And as long as you dont get oem speakers as replacements you are most likely putting in better then stock speakers. Even bose or monsoon branded stock systems are only as good as cheap retail systems.

Tell me how it goes installing those rear speakers, I have not been happy with the head unit or speakers in my GS and want to upgrade.

You might want to go to www.crutchfield.com as you can put in your car make and model and they will spit out some options, but you will prolly find better prices at BestBuy.

Thanks for the reply, mxxxxxm. I'll definately let you know how it goes.

I had the rear speakers replaced yesterday and still have the same problem, no sound from right rear speaker. Actually there is a little sound, just not much. What next?

Excellent response on the rear speakers. I agree totally that you need good fronts. How many times do you go to a concert and sit with your back to the stage? :)

I love the monsoon system in the new Regal.

The right rear speaker does not work over a whisper even when turned way up.

Have you checked the wiring? I suppose it could be the head unit not supplying proper signal to the right channel. Isn't it fun when these things start happening after the warranty is done?

here are the easiest suggestions I can think of:

make sure the fade and balance knobs are actually centered, (I'm not calling you stoopid, but I've a girlfriend that went a month thinking her left speaker died but she just accidently fiddled with the balance/fade controls)

pull the radio and smell for a burnt electronics smell. could be the internal amp OR make sure the wires are clean and attached.

That is true. Check the simple stuff first. In my 87 T, the Kenwood stereo would fade in and out and the tone would change also. I thought it was a bad ground and lived with it until I had time to reground the system. Stupid me didn't pay attention to the settings on the radio and it was cycling through the preset sound quality, i.e Country, Jazz, Rock, Top 40, Talk, etc.

I felt like a fool! :)