Spark plugs tips

jlbeck

Can anyone offer any tips on changing plugs on 87 GN? I took the front plug out on the drivers side and for a couple of turns or so it acted almost cross threaded. It finally loosened up and I saw no damage to the plug. I reinstalled it with a little anti sieze compound. I heard somewhere that on cars with aluminum heads there was a special technique for removing plugs. I believe this engine is basically stock and did not think it has aluminum heads. Am I correct? Also the back plug on the passenger side seems like it might be a challenge. How do yous guys do it?

Thanks in advance

Can anyone offer any tips on changing plugs on 87 GN? I took the front plug out on the drivers side and for a couple of turns or so it acted almost cross threaded. It finally loosened up and I saw no damage to the plug. I reinstalled it with a little anti sieze compound. I heard somewhere that on cars with aluminum heads there was a special technique for removing plugs. I believe this engine is basically stock and did not think it has aluminum heads. Am I correct? Also the back plug on the passenger side seems like it might be a challenge. How do yous guys do it?

Thanks in advance

an extension with a swivel and socket built in..... once you learn how to change'em you get pretty quick.... i've done changes in the rain on the PowerTour, changed em at the track... etc. etc. [probably in 20-30 mins.... and taking time to check the gap]

i do use Anti-seize and i ALWAYS start them by hand.... HTH... i will post a pic of my secret weapon... lol:D

That stiffness you felt as they were coming out was probably just some carbon buildup on the end of the sparkplug threads. Some times it helps to crack them loose, then spray some WD40 or similar around the threads and work the plug back and forth until it turns out easily. If your engine is stock, it will have cast iron heads. Before you install your new plugs double check the plug gap and compare the length of the threads to the old plugs. You don't want to put in a plug with a different reach.

Thanks

I fabricated a socket, swivel, extension that won't come apart leaving the socket down in the hole and I am using the AC R44TS plugs which are what came from the factory. I appreciate the words of wisdom.

Jim