spark plug wires

Tommyg

I am contimplating changing my spark plug wires. The reason is that my car is coughing/sputtering/bucking under normal driving conditions(mild acceleration,no boost). It only does this on occassion--not every day. Yesterday it ran fine for several hours and then started again for the drive home(about an hour). I don't want to start guessing and replacing parts at random. I had it put on a Snap-on scan meter and it showed no error codes. Can spark plug wires cause this? I thought that if I had bad wires it would act up all the time. Please help as it's driving me crazy. Tommy

Make sure all your turbo, intercooler & up pipe clamps are tight.
My gn was doing the same thing and found the hose clamp at the intercooler coming from the turbo loose.

Ralph

I had the same problem with a stock GN, after it warmed up gave it any more than part throttle it would bog, cough.

Turned out to be injectors.

During that time I replaced everything imaginable , plugs, wires , sensors. Took it to a mechanic he added some fuel injector cleaner cleared the problem for a day , then the bog came back. Thats how we knew it was injector related.

I would have to agree that it sounds more fuel related. A bum wire would tend to be more consistent.

Try swapping your coil-pak or ignition module with a known good one, sounds like that is your problem. If wires are bad they will act up when it's rainin, not just now and then.
Tarey D.

All my hoses are new and tight. It clears up under boost--just bucks under mild,normal acceleration. There must be a way to check this out without replacing parts one at a time to find out which one is bad. I need help!!!!

tommy....how many miles are on the car? remember these cars are getting old.

it is odd that it smooths out under boost. when my plug wires/ignition went bad it was exactly the opposite. popping and missing under boost/load.

i know throwing parts at a car is expensive and frustrating from experience. Have you changed the fuel filter? this should be done every 8000 miles. A scan tool will help with certain parameters but does not always have the answer.

start with the cheaper and simple things first....you'll find it.
:eek:
Chris

Sounds like bad MAF maybe?? Either way it is a fuel related problem if it clears up under boost IMHO.

Have you considered bad gas? Sometimes, even the name brand stations have bad gas or water in the gas. Then when you fill up somewhere else, things get better.

Under boost, your injectors are really pumping gas and sometimes poor gas worked then.

Something to think about.

Good luck.

Originally posted by Tommyg
All my hoses are new and tight. It clears up under boost--just bucks under mild,normal acceleration. There must be a way to check this out without replacing parts one at a time to find out which one is bad. I need help!!!!

Cheapest way to remove the injectors as a suspect is to buy fuel injector cleaner.

To test your coil pack ignition , find someone with the caspers CCCI tester.

sparkplugs and wires are cheap under $50 if they are original you should change these anyways.

To test the MAF do a MAF tap test........

Check your fuel pressure with an FP guage.....