Spark Plug Torque/Removal and diff gasket.

realspartan

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to check the condition of my NGK UR4 spark plugs that were installed about 2 years ago when I noticed that the middle spark plug on the passenger side was completely loose. I removed it with my hand, no tools required. Stupid question but does this happen or was the "mechanic" who installed the plugs forget to torque it in place? I pretty much tightened all the plugs after that except for the rear plug towards the firewall on the passenger side. I did not have enough space with the the sparkplug socket, extension and ratchet. Any Ideas on how to get to this one? What is the right torque for the plugs 20lbs/ft? I did not torque them with a torgue wrench, just used the same amount of force for the ones I had access to.

By the way is there a diff gasket for an 87 GN and what is the GM part number? Is one needed or just silicone is fine? Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Realspartan

Correct 20Ft-lbs for spark plugs. Print this out and toss a copy in the toolbox. You can easily do 20ft-lbs of torque from a small 1/4" drive socket so it does not take much force to get them to torque if you do not have a torque wrench handy.

Bolt Torque Explained

Also removal of the back plugs, I use a universal and a small extension pretty much makes removal easy.

Installing use an old plug wire and boot to start it off then torque it with the extension and universal.

Also removal of the back plugs, I use a universal and a small extension pretty much makes removal easy.

Installing use an old plug wire and boot to start it off then torque it with the extension and universal.

A short piece of vacuum hose slipped over the top of the plug helps start the rear plugs also.