Southern front yard junk

Spoolin Hooligan

Off the wagon Boost Addict
So you hear stories mainly in the south because of better weather. Of awesome cars sitting in people yards. Slowly rotting away. With the ignorant owner not selling it and saying they are going fix it up.

Well I went to visit my mom outside Suffolk VA. And she lives out in the country so I'm taking the back way home and out in the front yard sits a 86 or 87 turbo T. So I'm thinking this guy must not know what he has its not even parked under a tree. And its back seat is filled with empty beer 30 pack boxes. So I say if I can get this at a descent price I will save it. I was going to knock on his door. But he had a pit chained to his porch. So I leave a detailed note saying call me yes or no with my number on the cars windshield. Call my mom a couple days later and ask if the note was still there. It was gone and never got a call. Guess hes gonna "fix it up"

People dont appreciate what these or any older cars represent in regards to their history/nostalgia. I hate to see that happen to turbo regals or any car for that matter.

I had the same thing happen. Worked in Miami for 10 years and everyday had to drive past a real 70 Buick GSX (white) sitting in the guys side yard sunk to the axles. After two years I stopped and ask him to sell it. He said no way and watched it rot for another 8 years till I left the company.

There is white "T" here in G'ville that is just rotting as it is the guy's daily driver but that's all it is. Runs horrible, miss matched wheels, rusted through in many spots, interior shot etc... And an 86 GN sitting next to a guy's garage for 5 years, engine and turbo shot, rotting away, interior/exterior sun beat, tires bald and flat, rims rusted and the guy says "$4k and I'll let you steal it" (my wife works with his wife and he asked me to help him get it started. Got it started that's how I found the bad rod bearing and seized turbo). He sold it to someone for $3k though.

Mikey

I used to work out of my boss's parent's house in a residential neigborhood. I'd go on walks at lunch just to get out for a few minutes. Down the sidestreet there was a house that had a maroon Shelby GT500KR sunk to the frame in the front yard. That was 25 years ago. What's left of it is still there...
Oh ya, that was in Ma.

Virginia is in the south??? They don't talk like me so it must be in the north:)

A friend of mine traded an old wore out Monte Carlo SS for an 87 Turbo T we found behind a man's house. He thought the Monte was worth more money because it's what Dale Earnhart drove in Nascar........

Just to give you an idea, My land lord has 2 Wilys wagons (50's models) that have been in the family since the late 60's. He started to repair them but they've sat for 20+ years now. I've tried to get him to get back on them but they just sit and rot now.:( He just scrapped an early 60's Rambler that he though he'd get around to but it was too far gone so it went to the scrap yard. We've got a bunch of cars that need new homes but no one wants to buy them except for scrap value so they just sit and rot.:oops:

DONT GIVE UP HOPE !!!!!!!! IT ONLY TOOK ME 9 YEARS BUT I GOT THIS 1. IT MAY NOT LOOK LIKE MUCH BUT ITS 1 OF 17 OR 18 CT STATE COP CARS FROM BACK IN THE DAY! I HAVE THE CT TITLE WHEN IT WAS REGISTERED TO THE STATE AS WELL. POINT HERE IS PERSISTANCE PAYS OFF, ABOUT ONCE A YEAR I WOULD MAKE THE 45 MINUTE RIDE THERE WITH CASH IN MY POCKET AND TRY TO BUY IT

cop3.jpg

cop2.jpg

cop7.jpg

cop5.jpg

cop11.jpg

And here I thought we'd gotten you to start loading to the board James.:p
Bought a new computer a month ago and all my old photos are on photobucket. So unless I download them all back to my computer then back the board it my be 1/2 and 1/2 for a while. Sorry

My father always referred to them as "yard cars". And would always point them out as we cruised the Ga. / al. Countryside... RIP dad

If you guys want to see the yard car king google " Bruce cliche" also same name look it up on YouTube. I have been there and seen it and been in his house and tried to deal with him the problem is he wants more than what everything is worth and he is in the middle of VT where there is pretty much no old cars to restore or their beyond fixing or the people have no money to buy the parts or don't know he exists. I lived up in VT 1994-96 and there are cars still there from back then !

Back around 2002 I left a note on a nice 84 Blue Monte SS sitting in a driveway in my town. I drove by a few times and notice it was in pretty nice shape, always just sitting in the driveway. About 7 years later I get an email from this guy offering to sell me the car. I had since moved and totally forgot about it. I took a ride over and it was just a sad site to see. The whole car had deteriorated so badly. The paint was all faded and rust showing through. Tires and interior shot from being in the sun. It hadn't been started in years. I wouldn't even make the guy an offer at that point. Sad how these deals go.

Speaking of Southern yard junk..here's what we towed to my house yesterday.

The turbo has no visible shaft or nut, just a loose compressor wheel in the housing, and this fine heat shield:

Had this in the trunk:

KendallF, tell a little more about the red t u found and post some pics. Hows the body and paint? Im attracted to unusual colors. Where u located? Thanks, howard.

What makes the paint hideous? The quality or the color? Does it have the gn interior? I looked at onethat color but it turned out to be forty footer!!! So i never got close enough to see it all . 40ft was too close! Lol ,

I also did the same once on a blue turbo t. It was sitting at a body shop parking lot, full of clothes and fishing gear. The wife had just thrown him out. I bought the car for $3000 and drove it home. I pays to have the cash!!