Southern Cal: Street racers’ souped-up cars crushed by law enforcement - article

Zavala, who admits he has been involved in street racing, estimates he and his mother spent about $10,000 on improvements to his car.

Haha, oh well, a few less Hondas on the road.

they could have at least crushed some POS ones, not a percentage of the halfway decent hondas out there... :frown:

That stinks.

But as the other guy said, a few less Honda's on the road. :)

They're really trying to crackdown on street racing. I just find it stupid that they feel like these people need to be caught and have their vehicles destroyed. It's not as though they're murdering people in doing a little racing.

Yeah, a few years back my friend crashed while he was driving like an idiot. Was driving fast, probably racing someone, roads were still wet/icy, crossed into oncoming traffic, killed himself and the innocent man in the other car. So many times, it does end up being "murder".

This new generation of drivers is the problem. Sure you had people dieing from illegeal racing every since the first car was made. The problem is, the deaths was limited to those who agreed to the risk. You made an effort to keep this activity to some remote location instead of the local school zone or down town. It's like there was an unwritten rule book for street racing and it was replaced by a movie...The Fast and the Ferious. This may seem insane but it's almost like we need to educate this generation on street racing edicate.

Nevermind the 40,000 people killed a year while driving and doing something other than street racing. Lets go after street racers who during San Diego's "catastrophic" "street racing" epidemic of 2003 or so killed 16 people.

How many people were killed the same year because of drunk driving, falling asleep at the wheel, and running red lights?

The only reason people come down hard on this is because street racing causes sensational headlines. The average Joe Blow on the street is used to people being killed by drunk drivers, red light runners, and people falling asleep at the wheel. That doesn't make the evening news.

Out of the deaths attributed to "street racing" a good portion are just from some high school idiots driving their moms Toyota Corolla way too fast down surface streets with their friends. Ill bet the number of deaths from organized street racing are insignificant compared to that.

I find it amusing that their way of coping with the problem of people racing each other on busy surface streets is to go after the guys that take their racing out into the middle of nowhere.

This is just more feel good legislation from the nanny state.

Today's generation is weaned on a diet of GT3, Fast and the Furious, Need for Speed, and when they hit the road, they feel that the road is their playground. Combine that with more and more cars coming out that are pretty good performers off the showroom floor, and you have a recipe for disaster.

Way back when, if we wanted to race somebody, we set it up, went and did the deed, and came back. Low key, no drama.

Last "organized" street race I attended was a fiasco at best- a couple of guys set up a race, and I watched over 50 cars follow the racers to the designated area. Lost of burnouts, fart pipes, and general mayhem by the crowd following the racers- which attracted the cops.

...The only reason people come down hard on this is because street racing causes sensational headlines. The average Joe Blow on the street is used to people being killed by drunk drivers, red light runners, and people falling asleep at the wheel. That doesn't make the evening news...
That's so true.

IMO, the most dangerous place to stand is in front of a handicapped parking place. I've seen a number of storefronts that had been crashed into by a senile old geezer.

The Geezers will full-throttle their car, then claim they were "confused" because they thought they were tuning the radio instead of flooring the gas :rolleyes:

Any attempt at legislation that would require periodic drivers tests after, say age 70, is attacked relentlessly by the AARP , and the weasel legislators cower & retreat.

Just last month, my Chevy Blazer, stationary in a valet parking lane, was rear-ended by a Geezer who accelerated his car into the valet driveway. Had I been standing behind my truck, I'd be maimed or crippled.

I think twice or thrice before stepping in front or behind a car with an old person at the wheel ... even if the car seems parked or stationary. Geezers are less predictable than a deranged Pit Bull.

I get the feeling that some of you feel that street racing is just some harmless fun. You'd like to think it was but unfortunately it depends on the time and place. Although it's all illegal, if you and your buddies go out to make a few passes on some baren stretch of road at 2 a.m. it's much more sensible than racing in and out of traffic on the 5 freeway during rush hour.

I've done some street racing quite a few years ago and back then we went out of our way to make sure no one was around. I'm not convinced the same level of common sense prevails with the "rice and the ridiculous" generation.

I caught a couple of jackasses making passes in thier Honda ****box down my street a few months ago and ripped them a new *******. One think I did tell them is if they wanted to be stupid they should take it to a more appropriate location where no inocent bystanders will get hurt or killed. I think the law is a bit over the top but if that's what it takes so be it.

Neal

I agree that there is definitely a sensible and a stupid approach to street racing.

On the whole, I would say that the sensible approach is generally no more harmless or harmful than a number of other pastimes that people do regularly from rock climbing to hang gliding to boating and jet skiing

Agreed- to a point. The other pastimes you mention have an inherent degree of risk, and participants generally prepare (mentally, equipment, etc) to reduce the risk.

Most folks who take racing seriously also pepare for the risk involved- NHRA licenses, vehicles prepped to performance criteria, etc. I think one of the main problems is that it's not too difficult to make a car go faster, with just bolt-on equipment. Very rarely is the rest of the car made to match the performance potential of the engine, nor is the driver aware of how fast things can happen at speed.

In video games, you hit reset, and resume the game- or, worse yet, you're encouraged to be destructive against property and life to gather maximum points.

In life, you have no reset button.....