South Side lower arms

turbolc2

Mongoose
I hear a lot of mixed comments about these bars.Has anyone heard/seen a fix to the bar itself so they will not tear the lower control arm perch? Has anyone been running SSM's successfully withconservative launches?

I use a pretty conservative launch.10# boost on the footbrake and it gets 1.60 60's consistently.No problems as of yet.They really stiffened up the back of the car.I have the uppers and lowers on my car.

H&R Parts makes a reinforcement kit for the front mounts of the lower control arms. I never really found out why the SS's would tear out the mounts more so than the other arms on the market.

I've had SouthSide's on my car for about 6 years.It's mainly a street car ,and I drive it alot.The only problem I've seen is that the bolt that goes through the frame comes loose.Every spring when I take it out,I retorque .I could see if it had some play that it would cause a problem.

S.S. lower arms

They caused cracks in my upper frame bracket.Had it welded twice and the bolt holes has been enlongated.I took them off because of all the havoc.The angle causes stress on the upper brackets.:mad:

Do the non- turbo G-body cars use the same control arms in the rear?

I'm wondering if I could find a set in the local Pick and Pull.

the first SSM arms had solid front bushings that would oval out. this added movement would pound the mounts right off the frame. it has long been corrected.

hope this helps

surej

SSM Lwrs

Dr.Boost I have never seen anything but solid bushings on SSM lwrs.Can the bars be retro fit with a different type of bushing? I've wondered if the SSM Lwrs put the instant center of the car higher up than it should be due to the offset at the axle shaft.Don't the other bars (Metco,HR puff) offset at the upper bar which then lowers the instant center?

Originally posted by terryk
Do the non- turbo G-body cars use the same control arms in the rear?

I'm wondering if I could find a set in the local Pick and Pull.

I don't know. Maybe some else here can answer that.

The SS's dont move the IC "higher up". They move the intersecting point (IC) more rearward. This creates more anti squat which inturn pushes the rear/tire into the ground more. You can also change the IC form the upper control arms as well. Either way move the IC further back from front to rear giving more anti squat.

El camino, Cutlass, Grand Prix, Regals all have the same upper and lower control arms. These I know from experience the malibu is a G Body but I have not changed with it ...should be the same.

I am in this thread lately...but, the SSM Bars are out of business now. Jegs and Summit no longer carry them and the SSM website is no longer. Jegs rep told me that there was beef in the family (father/son)SSM business.

Originally posted by turbo nasty
El camino, Cutlass, Grand Prix, Regals all have the same upper and lower control arms. These I know from experience the malibu is a G Body but I have not changed with it ...should be the same.

I am in this thread lately...but, the SSM Bars are out of business now. Jegs and Summit no longer carry them and the SSM website is no longer. Jegs rep told me that there was beef in the family (father/son)SSM business.

Thanks! Me and myself thank you!

Originally posted by DR BOOST
the first SSM arms had solid front bushings that would oval out. this added movement would pound the mounts right off the frame. it has long been corrected.

hope this helps

surej

Hey Dr. do the improved ssm bars have grease fittings?

Jegs now has there own liftbars. Looks just like the SSM bars but that was only in the pictures.