Sound deadening behind the back seat?

BuickMike

Money pit
I'm replacing the entire interior of the car. Behind the back seat, there was a heavy sound deadening mat. It basically just fell apart on me. I'm thinking I don't need this anymore since I am doing my own deadening and will have subs in the trunk. The plan is to do 2 layers of the E dead I have (like dynamat) on the floorboards and in the bottom of the back seat area. The doors are already done. I will use a spray on deadener throughout the trunk and the rear quarter panels.

So what I'm getting at here is should I be ok with not replacing the mat that goes between the rear of the back seat and the trunk if I'm going to have a sub back there and am deadening everything else?

I pulled mine out a long time ago and really never noticed a difference. I did get a piece of black fabric and hung it behind the seat. Just looks better from the trunk.

I took that out plus the heavy a$$ same thing from under the rear seat. Mentally I feel good that I took some weight out. I do hear a little more road noise though (when the cutout isn't open:eek:)

I know this is sort of the redneck route, but I used a 1/2" carpet pad cut by using the original as a template and buzz canned it black....it looks the part and serves its purpose.

Mike - aren't you the one that has that really good thread about budget rebuilding your GN from scratch?
Almost like those crazy couponers who get $126 back - after buying the 300 tubes of toothpaste. :D

I expected so much more.
And I mean that fondly after reading that entire rebuild thread.
I think it was yours.
I would have thought you would post how you found some high quality Edeadener or super jute from recycled FedEx envelopes.

I was going to post this earleir - my sort of find of the week while dumpster diving.
My buddy was downsizing and tossing two reasonably ok mattresses.
Before anyone yells - Yuck or Eeewwww
No one died on them, nor did the mattresses have the telltale signs of looking like someone did (If ya get my drift)
They were good.

And since the resale value on a used mattress is zero - we took them to the dump.
Anyway, I noticed when we were tossing them, the tops / bottoms had a really nice layer of 1/2" jute + foam padding. + some linen like thin sheeting
So, in the vein of budget rebuilding - I sliced open the mattresses, and stripped the jute, foam, and linen sheet.

Perfect for all the pieces of my underdash panels and T-Top panels that use that stuff ( I have three T top cars - so that is a bunch of peices)
I'm sure jute isn't the best sound deadener, nor is it really expensive - but in this case - it was free!
Plus the foam, which I'm sure I'll find a use for as well.
2 queen sized mattresses yielded all that I will need - unless I buy more T top cars soon

I know this doesn't answer about that black panel behind the seat affecting anything - to which you inquired - but thought I'd throw it out there.
Also - I buy rolls of thin, cheappy, carpet in the teeny auto section at BigLot. Like 5 bucks a roll
It would be perfect for either installing in place of the back seat jute, or even covering a thin 1/8" or thinner piece of something.
3M spray adhesive and viola'

I'm not boom boxer so I don't know if it helps or hurts the audio to have a barrier between the thump thump thump and the passenger compartment.

Haha..too late my friend!
Maybe that's how you got sick?

And technically, it was not "in" the dumpster when I removed it all.

Oh no - I'm on the "new-new budget".
It seems "someone" is going to present me with a large bill for my WH1
And you know - that darned Gbodyparts dot com is too expensive...or so 'they" say. :D

This stuff is awesome.
I can use it in the trunk, the interior panels, - I might even make a jacket out of it.
I feel like I hit the lottery on Saturday! :)

That's actually a decent price for that die cut trunk jute pad.
Considering it is factory stock like, black & with all the little cuts and holes.

I think my WH1 has it stll there, but it's been so long since I saw the ole gal, I can't recall!

But you do have to admit, that for all those T-top inteorior pieces and under dash, it was a good find.

The 82 GN's panels were all stripped clean of the jute and laying in the trunk since the previous owner was hunting that insane wind leak.

So between the three T-Top cars, I have plenty of need.

Haha thanks for the info. I got enough jute to recover everything inside the car from the local upholstry supply store for $5, so I'm good there. I covered the whole under seat area with 2 layers of E Dead (like dynamat) and will cover all that with a layer of jute. My question is whether I should cover the space between the back seat and trunk if I'm planning on putting a sub back there and will be deasening the whole trunk?