Sometimes I Hate This Car......

DoWork

I wasnt sure where to post this, so if its in the wrong section, feel free to move it:)

Now, excuse my stupidity, but I am still learning about these cars.

As some of you may know, I have had a few fuel pump issues in the past. Well, I had THOUGHT that I had got everything sorted out, and that my car was running well....until last night. Maybe some of you can shed some light on what may have happened.

Last month, I replaced my fuel pump (Walboro GSL392), and the car ran AWESOME. Its been raining a lot here lately, so it hasnt gotten driven much. We adjusted my TV cable last night and I decided to take it out and test it to see if that fixed my not shifting issue(which it did). SO, I get out to my "spot", load her up on the brake, and let it rip. I spun for about the first 6 ft, fuel pressure came up as it should, and it was shifting great. About 3/4 of the way through my run, I happened to glance at my fuel pressure gauge, and about 80000000000000000 flags went up in my head. My fuel pressure was falling, and HARD. It didnt register to me to pull out of it until I was at about 40psi. WTF?! Just as it has in the past, my car is now loosing FP every time my car hits boost. When I got it home, I noticed that my pump was SCREAMING.

Long story short, I pulled the prefilter apart and there was some crap in it, but from what i can see, nothing made it to the pump.

My question is this. Why does my car eat fuel pumps? If I order another one today, this will be the 3rd one in less than 6 mo of driving. I really dont want to put another one in just to have it die again. I did notice however, that my car has a hack job hotwire on it. Could this be part of the issue? I'm lost here guys, please help me shed some light on this.

I have not seen your previous posts so I am not familiar with your set up but the GGS392 is an external pump so apparently your car is not a stock type of tank set up. Does your tank gravity feed into the pump? The GSS392 will not pull fuel very well at all, it needs to have gravity forcing the fuel into its inlet. What type of prefilter are you running and what size of line? Are you sure the tank it vented? If a tank is not properly vented it will sometimes cause the pump to "scream" as you mentioned.

My tank is a stock tank with a sump on it. Prefilter is a Mallory 40 Micron screen type filter. The line from the sump/filter is -8, and everything after the pump is -6(small, I know). I am not sure about the vent in the tank as I bought the car like this, but I will be checking into it this afternoon now that you mention it. As for the gravity fed idea, I had heard that to, and I think I will be moving my pump. My pump is mounted behind the rear bumper. As you know then, it is higher than the outlet on the sump. It seemed fine for a while(until alst night), so I wasnt sure if the fact that it had to be gravity fed was true or not. As I said, I am new at this. Looks like I will be revamping my fuel system this afternoon.

The Red's pump is an internal pump. I have a GSS392 on my 67 Firebird/LC2 hybrid and it works fine but I am betting that your pump is mounted too high to work properly. Your prefilter may be an issue also. I am not that familiar with the Mallory you have but most pump manufactures recommend that the prefilter be of a rating around 100 microns to help with inlet restriction then have a more aggressive post filter. I would not worry about the prefilter untill you got the pump moved and then see how that works.

I'm gonna try and find some line locally today and bring the pump down, maybe I'll mount it to the side of the spare tire well or something. Do you think its shot, or do you think its just making noise because it cant pull what it needs?

I think it may be OK once you get it moved down. What kind of lines do you have? There is no pressure on inlet side so that should open you line choices.

I think it may be OK once you get it moved down. What kind of lines do you have? There is no pressure on inlet side so that should open you line choices.
Right now its -6 SS braided line. I am curently in my garage laying under my car trying to figure out my options. I have some pushlock line and fittings here, but I don't think it'll handle fuel.

Some push loc is rated for fuel and some is not. My entire fuel system is done in push loc that was rated for fuel. Could you just temporarily lower the pump using the lines you have now to see how it works?

Some push loc is rated for fuel and some is not. My entire fuel system is done in push loc that was rated for fuel. Could you just temporarily lower the pump using the lines you have now to see how it works?

I have the pump hanging below the tank right now. At idle, its still making a bit of noise, but not nearly as much as last night. I just need to move the lines around now I guess and make a new hanger. I hope this works.

OK, so. I am back inside now. I moved it as best i could for now using what I have, and the pump is pretty much at the same level as the outlet on the sump. Its MUCH quiter than it was last night, so I feel as if I have made SOME progress. I can't however, remember how loud it was before this happened. I recall it being pretty quiet(which it is now), but I dont remember the "exact" tone/pitch that it had before. Maybe I am just being overly sensitive because I am worried about it. I would really like to go test it out, but I am watching my little guy today, so I am going to have to wait until my fiance gets home from work tonight to see if I've made any real progress. I am just hoping for the best at this point. If I didnt fix it, I am just going to pull the insurance off the car again and it will sit until I can afford an entire new fuel system.

Also, I wanted to thank you Steve for your input on this. You have been a great help thus far.

SO......I have yet another question about this. Anyone have ANY idea on why the outlet of my pump would be getting really hot?