Some sort of clean mounting unit for 5 1/2 Tach...

1NASTY6

"Staged for Life"
I'd like to see someone come out with a nice looking unit that would allow for a very clean installation of a 5 1/2 inch Buick Motorsports tach.
I've seen guys drive 4# wood screws into the dash above the radio pod area to try to hold them in, among other options.

If such a thing already exists, or if you have a nice clean way of doing this already, please let me know.

Thank you!

I just made a bracket that goes behind the dash pad and drilled 2 small holes in the plastic area behind the bezel in the instrument cluster area. Looks very clean, and even though holes are drilled you'll never see anything. Just to give an idea where it sits I included a pic...sorry not the best, but you'll get the idea. If you search "tach mounting" you'll find more detailed pics of what I'm talking about as someone else on here was as smart as me and had the same idea:D Good luck

Attachments

• int2.jpg
    int2.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 223
Nick

Doesnt get much cleaner then this. You can get them from Nick Micale @ arizonagn.com

Attachments

• TACHMT2.jpg
    TACHMT2.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 221
  • TACHMT3.jpg
    TACHMT3.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 235
  • TACHMT4.jpg
    TACHMT4.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 235
Clean Tach mount options....

Thank you guys. Either one would certainly look better than my tack sitting loosely in the front of the console! (probably less dangerous too!)

I appreciate the photo's!

Attachments

• GM High Tech Performance photo of my car.jpg
    GM High Tech Performance photo of my car.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 198
there's been a few threads on this in the past.

I fabbed up a bracket based on the design matswtt posted a link to above.

I modified that basic design to give me just a flat metal mounting surface along the side of the instrument cluster. Basically just some metal to attach the tach. to instead of running screws into the instrument cluster housing. I used aluminum sheet metal purhchased at a hobby shop, and painted the bracket with some GN grey interior paint purchased from Kirbans. With the bracket and tach. installed, you don't even really see the bracket. It just looks like the tach. is attached directly to the side of the instrument cluster housing - but it's not. The bracket can be removed and there are *no* visible holes. It holds the tach. at the perfect height and angle and is rock-steady.

HTH
Rob

another TB.com member emailed me directly asking for pics of my bracket. It's only a 3 1/2" tach., but the same bracket would work for a 5" tach. I snapped these earlier this evening and though I'd share here....

Attachments

• DSCN2935.JPG
    DSCN2935.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 167
  • DSCN2936.JPG
    DSCN2936.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 166
  • DSCN2937.JPG
    DSCN2937.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 182
  • DSCN2938.JPG
    DSCN2938.JPG