some one called it a somerset?

Somerset regals are front wheel drive regals, not sure what Letter body (ie G, W) but they are like a skylark,skyhawk of the same year, just slighty bigger. MY friend has one, they are quite nice, just alittle small for my taste.

My mom owns a 1984 'RS' Buick Regal. I assume that the RS stands for Regal Somerset. The hood emblem has a big RS on it and so does the front grille. It is two tone with pin-striping similiar to the earlier turbo regals and it came fully loaded just like the Limited version of the Regal.

I personally hate the car. (Not that its differant looking, only that the quality of workmanship involved in it's interior and plastic engine componants is extremely poor). I compare it to my car and my '81 has better grade instrument and buttons and the like....
The plastic parts on my mom's 'RS' become brittle and crumble.
However, the reliability of it is still up to par with the traditional Regal. If it were'nt for the plastic engine componants, it would be just as quick to fix as mine. I generally have to modify parts sometime or install older parts from earlier Regals to make it easier for future repairs. All in all it's still a good daily driver and runs great!

The Somerset package started in 1979 and was a cosmetic option pakage for the Regal. They were dark blue and tan with a matching interior. Later the were dark brown and tan. No special performance components. Most Regals were NOT Somersets

About 1985 the new Somerset Regal came along as a seperate FWD model. It was based on the Skyhawk (J-body?). Nothing in common, except the name, with the earlier Somerset Regal.

FWD somerset="N" body similar cars are the olds calais and the pont. grand am. I have only seen one RWD somerset regal in my area.

B4black hit the nail on the head. The Regal Somerset was a special Regal back before '85. In 85 the first N-body came out, called the Somerset Regal(2-door). In 86 the rest of the N-bodies came out, Grand Am, Skylark(4-door version of Somerset), and Cutlass Calais. They changed the name to just Somerset in "86, and later called both 4-doors and 2-doors Skylarks. And of course there was a Somerset T-type also. :p

How do I know this? Check out the sig.