Some more f-body to 3.8 turbo questions

WH1 85

Alright I know that this has come up again and again. But I have yet to see any real answers from anyone who has actually done this.

I have an 87 base model firebird. Really good shape, absolutly no rust and a near perfect interior. By the way I got the car for only $700 bucks. It has the very weak 2.8 litre and an auto. It is a hardtop with manual windows and locks. It has air and rear defrost and tilt wheel, but thats about it. Doesn't even have cruise. So it is a perfect canidate for a conversion. I wouldn't consider doing it if it was a trans am or a z28. And putting a v8 in it would be a project in itself, so I would rather go with a tr engine.

I know that the tranny will need to be switched, the drive shaft and something will need to be done with the rear end, (probably a ford 9").

So with all of that being understood, what else will be involved in the switch? I have heard that there can be problems getting it to fit. If this is true someone tell me why? If it is the heater box that gets in the way, that won't be a problem cause its coming out anyway.

My main areas of concern are,

1. motor mounts, are these available and from where?

2. exhaust, what needs to be done, are pieces available?

3. trans, if going with a 200r4 is a problem then I'll just do a 350, gas mileage is not high on my list.

4. anything else that someone who has actually attempted this feels that I should be aware of before tackling this project.

I'll answer some of your questions while i'm at work here..

Since it doesn't seem that you have AC you can just drop the GN motor in, no fitting problems at all

The motor mounts for a GN can work, now they make the motor sit up higher than the TTA mounts so i'm not sure if you'll have enough clearance, a 3'' cowl hood solves that :D

Wiring harness would be my biggest concern, sure you can piece together a GN harness and make it work with the fbody one but i'd invest in a TTA harness, makes things much easier

You can use the GN headers and crossover pipe but you'll need a custom downpipe(so i'm told)

I can't type much more since I'm at work but a few of us here have done that swap, its really not THAT bad :)

Yeah I figured on an all new wiring harness. Are the correct tta motor mounts available from any vendor? I would prefer to keep everything lined up.

But I wouldn't have a problem with changing the hood either. They have some pretty good looking ones available for third gen firebirds.

fly89gta what trans are you running. I'm somwhat leaning towards a 350. Have access to one for near free. Plus like I said I'm really not concerned with gas milage.:cool: So losing the overdrive won't break my heart.

700r4 for now

but the car is being packed away for the winter because quite honestly if i don't i'm gonna seriously drive it off a cliff

Seems there might something blocking my oil passage and not letting the lifters get oil, its' a REALLY long story, but i'm frustrated and now i'm carless...having regrets doing the swap but i'll get everything worked out

I also like the idea of keeping the 700r4. They are stout tranny's, plus it is what is already in the car. Plus I would not need a differen't drive shaft.

What type of adapter did you use to get it to work with the bop bolt pattern. And did you use the gn motor mounts, or did you use another type.

TCI makes an adapter plate

When I bought the TTA motor the guy threw in the frame and motor mounts :)

Also realize that your V6 700r4 won't work, that's for a 60* V6, our 3.8's are 90*

The GN mounts can be used if you weld in the GN frame pads. This has been done by a few out there, can't say for sure if that puts it in the right spot or not, but it works. Thay have used our Poly motor mounts like that as well. We are finishing up the prototype stages & should be into production soon with the replacement TTA motor mounts. This complete kit will allow a turbo V-6 to be installed in an F-body chassis like it's supposed to be. They will handle all the power you want to put to them too. If you are interested, just sign up on our site for info as it comes available. We have it under:
PRODUCTS > Motor Mounts > 89 Turbo TA > At the bottom.

I can't seem to find my link to more info for you. If you do some looking in the TTA section here you might find more info.