Some good mods, and some questions?

Big Paul

Bob Barker
Hey guys, been here for awhile, and actually have learned about more of the bigger mods, then the smaller ones.

I know about bigger turbos, alky kits, chips, stage 2 engines etc......

But what about headers, air intakes, and all that?

But what i'm really asking is, what are the best mods to do, and in what order?

Fuel pump mods?

Wastegate?

Chip?

What do you guys have and like? What do you think are best for the money?

Also, I was thinking this today. What are the fastest times you can on a stock block? Stock internals, cam, heads....... do the 3.8 Turbo engines have forged pistons?

What makes them so resiliant (sp?) to harsh conditions, like detonation, and spark knock?

Does anyone make aftermarket heads for the 3.8L?

Are there any differences in the N/A 3.8's and the Turbo'd 3.8's of the same year?

Thanks guys.

Sorry for all the questions! :D

I'll give this a shot. For mods IMO there are 2 kinds, safety mods and performance mods.

Safety mods include:

Fuel pump - stock unit is inadequate
Engine Tie down or stronger motor mount - Keeps motor from twisting
Bigger wheels cylinders - Cars don't stop that well any mod is an improvement.
Hot wire kit for fuel pump
160 degree thermostat
seat braces - keeps car from cracking above B-pillars
tranny cooler
Scan tool - T-link, direct scan and a scan master
oil pressure gauge
boost gauge
Drive shaft loop

Performance mods - endless list - depends on how fast you want to go:

adjustable fuel pressure regulator
turbo
injectors
chip
3 inch downpipe
exhaust system
slicks
K&N
intercooler
heads
upgraded rear control arms - lowers mainly but uppers are available
alcohol injection
test pipe with option open exhaust
Cam
Steel caps

You can go nuts with mods if you want to make your car really fast.

In my opinion high tens are about it on a stock block and you're pushing it at that point. Fastest time on a stock bottom end is in the 10.7 range I think (Could be wrong on this).

To have a solid 11 second car you need all of the "safety items", chip, turbo, downpipe, sticky tires and injectors. Heads and an intercooler are great additions and will put you in the low to mid 11s depending on your turbo.

A big point I would like to make is make sure your combo is matched properly. There are numerous "recipies" to get your car to the 12s and then the 11s and even into the 10s.

Thanks Turboman!!!

That helps me quite a bit. I guess since there are so many of you guys here with proven combos. I should take a peek at what they have and build something off that? Thats the only way I think I could do it! :D

Thanks agian!

check the recipes @ gnttype.org. although turboman seems to have hit the nail on the head. Havent some stock engines run 9's or something?

I know Jason Cramer and I believe someone else went at least 9.9s on a girdled stock block this year at BG. Jason with the Powerplate of course ;) .