Solid Roller Cam Hitting Lifter Issue.....

Cheeseburger

I have been trying to install a gear drive for 2 weeks now but am having an issue with the cam lobes hitting the adjacent lifter.
The cam lobes on the passenger side are fairly centered, the lobes on the drive side are off towards the front and worse toward the rear.
Is it possible i have a bad cam core or is this common?
It did work with a timing chain, but it's not working out with the gear drive.
I even machined the gear drive plate down to try and fix the issue with no luck.

I have been trying to install a gear drive for 2 weeks now but am having an issue with the cam lobes hitting the adjacent lifter.
The cam lobes on the passenger side are fairly centered, the lobes on the drive side are off towards the front and worse toward the rear.
Is it possible i have a bad cam core or is this common?
It did work with a timing chain, but it's not working out with the gear drive.
I even machined the gear drive plate down to try and fix the issue with no luck.

Is the roller thrust bearing installed correctly with the two outer races ?
Allan G.

Was your cam machined for a thrust bearing with the timing chain setup? The gear drive is meant to work with an unmachined cam. Maybe the cam is too far forward in the cam gear.

Maybe your on to something! Yes it was machined for the thrust bearing/timing chain set up.
I had to have the plate machined 0.040 and when i installed the front cover and torqued it down it's not hitting anymore.
I imagine i have next to no margin for error though.
If that's correct i wish i had known as i would not have bothered with the gear drive.
A simple timing chain would have takin 2 hours to change, instead i'm 2 weeks into screwing around trying to get this gear drive to workout.

Going back to a chain......
Not a good idea with those spring pressures, shim it accordingly it has to work... the lobes will never be centered on the lifters as long as they are not running off the edge its fine.

I believe the persons who have been breaking chains were running aluminium blocks for the most part.
Aluminium expands when hot, which i.m.o. caused the chains to break.
I had a chain on for 2 years and it never broke but mind you i never raced the car at all.