soft compound rear brake shoes ??????

there suppose to help you hold more boost at the line

And make emergency stops on the street downright scary:eek: Had them on my GN for a few days, had to hit the brakes HARD, and the rear end tried to swap places with the front.

You can also hold a little more boost on the line by buying two sets of brake shoes, and using the large shoes from each set, might not hold as much as a softer set, but will make driving on the street a little safer.

I had soft compound (cheap brakes with 4 large shoes - buy 2 sets, send the littles back as cores), S10 wheel cylinders and because I ran 275/60's there was very little chance of locking the rear up in a panic stop (maybe with 215/65's)

Nah, they were (at the time) fairly new BFG 245/50/16's, at around 28psi..... I like to rum 'em low for extra traction:rolleyes:

How much boost were you able to hold with the S10 cylinders and the 4 large shoes? I was concerned to push it much past 10psi, and that was just on new stock wheel cylinders.

yes the s10 cylinders & soft shoes work.. so well for me that when my gn, still had the stock(worn out& tired) engine in it, there were a few times when i was parallel parked and wanted to make a "u-turn", the tires wouldn't turn loose for me to do so, i could hold about 7-8 psi with them on a crappy un-tuned combo, i would recommend them but get a line lock also, as not cause excessive weat on them. just my $ .02

I had soft compound (cheap brakes with 4 large shoes - buy 2 sets, send the littles back as cores), S10 wheel cylinders and because I ran 275/60's there was very little chance of locking the rear up in a panic stop (maybe with 215/65's)

Does the rear brakes lock up if you don't use the large brakes?

I run 275/45/17 street tires on the rear & considering going w/ s10 wheel cylinders on the large shoes only-but afraid of locking the rears to the point that the rear end exchanges places w/the front end

Please advise & chime in
FRED

Does the rear brakes lock up if you don't use the large brakes?

I run 275/45/17 street tires on the rear & considering going w/ s10 wheel cylinders on the large shoes only-but afraid of locking the rears to the point that the rear end exchanges places w/the front end

Please advise & chime in
FRED

anyone?

tbird, I'd give it a shot and just be careful. If they do seem to lock up easily, you could always go back and put the shoes the way they should be (one large and one small on each side), but you'd still have that extra something with the S10 cylinders.

I replaced both wheel cylinders with stock replacements, and running the cheapest softest shoes I could find, installed the "right" way. With the drag radials on the car I was able to hold 6psi. It may have held more, but I was testing out the radials more than the brakes, and they spun just a little at 6psi, so I didn't try any more than that.

& GNTurbo6, any parts place, Checker, PepBoys, AutoZone will have them. You'll just have to tell the guy behind the counter that you need replacement wheel cylinders for an S10. Do a search on here to find out what years, but I'm pretty sure you tell them you don't have power brakes.

1985 Chevy S-10 with manual brakes - they are 7/8 diameter wheel cylinders approximately 30% increase in braking force!

Craig